Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimental Board Carrier

You know that point in math where you think you understand the problem and the next step comes, then you return to being completely lost? Yep that's me right now. While I'm following that little balloon in the sky, I'm probably not going to completely follow until it hits the LZ. I'm hoping you'll be doing an in depth explanation when you've got it completely figured out. Maybe then that dim little light above my head will turn on. Looks awesome regardless, keep it up!
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    If instead, I just measure the jig width, I can have a rail along the side to copy the sliding plate.
    That is my thinking.

What I do not understand is why the machine bobs for the sliding plate after it fails to touch at the brass roller. Why air bob at the sliding plate when you know you cannot reach it? It makes sense to me to just ask for the board thickness after failing the touch at the brass roller.

What I do not understand is why the machine bobs for the sliding plate after it fails to touch at the brass roller. Why air bob at the sliding plate when you know you cannot reach it? It makes sense to me to just ask for the board thickness after failing the touch at the brass roller.
    I am like PSQRD, The bulb isn't at it's brightest yet. There is just a couple of things I don't totally understand but if you end up doing an in depth instruction sheet, maybe with photos, that would be awesome. I think it is great that you have shared as much as you have so far.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Not only can we say goodby the the 7 inch rule, we can also say goodby to the 6 inch minimum board size. Here is a carving on a 4 inch board. (My first try with the 1/32" carving bit.)

There is a slight trick to it. I first put in a 10 inch piece of MDF and used the machine just to measure it. I loaded the project, answered all the questions. When it asked for the bit, lifted the head and swapped the MDF out for the 4" oak board (and the 1/4" rail tops). Lowered the head, enter, enter, and away it went.

Bait and switch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000870.JPG   P1000871.JPG   P1000872.JPG  

We only ever said you couldn't go less than the minimum without a jig. This is a jig...pretty cool jig, but a jig.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Not only can we say goodby the the 7 inch rule, we can also say goodby to the 6 inch minimum board size. Here is a carving on a 4 inch board. (My first try with the 1/32" carving bit.)

There is a slight trick to it. I first put in a 10 inch piece of MDF and used the machine just to measure it. I loaded the project, answered all the questions. When it asked for the bit, lifted the head and swapped the MDF out for the 4" oak board (and the 1/4" rail tops). Lowered the head, enter, enter, and away it went.

Bait and switch.
    As a distraction, What is the dinosaur having for lunch?

BTW A very nice and useful design.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    We only ever said you couldn't go less than the minimum without a jig. This is a jig...pretty cool jig, but a jig.
    True, but I did not have to make a special jig for it. No tape, no end pieces, no screws,....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    As a distraction, What is the dinosaur having for lunch?
    That was a graphic I was making with Sculptor for a man cave sign. Girls who enter may be eaten!

I am onto mockup three now. It can hold boards up to 18” X 14” X 2” as if they were under the rollers. It would not be hard to extend it for longer boards since it does not have the heavy base plate of the previous mockups. (I also think it can be tweaked to hold 14.5” wide boards since the sliding plate can be put between the sides.)

Once the board and carrier are in the machine, its operation is the same as the poorman’s carrier. This mock up holds board thickness form 1/4” to 2” with its movable rails. The bit touch points on each side are connected to rail bolts and so move up and down with the rails. The two sides could be used separately the same as the sides of the poorman’s carrier, but, the high sides make it a little awkward to hold in place as one cranks the head down. The purpose of the ready rod in the front and rear is to keep the sides from moving around and make the carrier easier to handle. One might want to have a few sets of different lengths.

The ready rod can also be used across the rails to clamp boards from the side (through the two slots in the middle). One can flip over the rails (sandpaper down) so that boards easily slide in and out the back when unclamped. This is useful for operations independent of the rollers. For example, smaller boards which would not be held down by the rollers can be slipped in and clamped. Also, boards can be slipped in and out for mass production or accurate double sided operations with out the need to lift the head and remeasure.

More experimenting needs to be done, but like I always think, this could be close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000923.JPG   P1000921.JPG   P1000920.JPG   P1000918.JPG  

P1000917.JPG   P1000913.JPG  

Damn it man you're on a roll! While I still can't wrap my head around the non - re measuring and sliding boards in, you're hitting the nail on the head at least for majority of my carves. I really like the ability to adjust the base for board height even though I still don't get why the board to be carved has to stand proud of the carrier. I know you still have more experimenting and based off of other things I wonder if you'll find a stopping point or just decide when you're done tweaking? lol I know the feeling. My main questions are 1) how much of this is done with mpc's on the carvewright 2)what hardward are you using specifically 3) whatever can't be done on the carvewright what's needed for it and how's it done and 4) with the adjustable base, is there still a need for a specific thickness mdf did that go out the window? I know it's a work in progress and you're probably apprehensive of putting the mpc's out currently because it's not "done"- but if you're game to share (and I can get my machine to stop being special) I'm more than willing to give it a shot and share results. Unforunately I'm the very "cradle to grave" type needing things explained barney style to get it - but once I get it, IT'S ON! Thanks again for sharing thus far, i you weren't so far away I'd plan a visit for sure!
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast