Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimental Board Carrier

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am onto mockup three now. It can hold boards up to 18” X 14” X 2” as if they were under the rollers. It would not be hard to extend it for longer boards since it does not have the heavy base plate of the previous mockups. (I also think it can be tweaked to hold 14.5” wide boards since the sliding plate can be put between the sides.)

Once the board and carrier are in the machine, its operation is the same as the poorman’s carrier. This mock up holds board thickness form 1/4” to 2” with its movable rails. The bit touch points on each side are connected to rail bolts and so move up and down with the rails. The two sides could be used separately the same as the sides of the poorman’s carrier, but, the high sides make it a little awkward to hold in place as one cranks the head down. The purpose of the ready rod in the front and rear is to keep the sides from moving around and make the carrier easier to handle. One might want to have a few sets of different lengths.

The ready rod can also be used across the rails to clamp boards from the side (through the two slots in the middle). One can flip over the rails (sandpaper down) so that boards easily slide in and out the back when unclamped. This is useful for operations independent of the rollers. For example, smaller boards which would not be held down by the rollers can be slipped in and clamped. Also, boards can be slipped in and out for mass production or accurate double sided operations with out the need to lift the head and remeasure.

More experimenting needs to be done, but like I always think, this could be close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000923.JPG   P1000921.JPG   P1000920.JPG   P1000918.JPG  

P1000917.JPG   P1000913.JPG  

Damn it man you're on a roll! While I still can't wrap my head around the non - re measuring and sliding boards in, you're hitting the nail on the head at least for majority of my carves. I really like the ability to adjust the base for board height even though I still don't get why the board to be carved has to stand proud of the carrier. I know you still have more experimenting and based off of other things I wonder if you'll find a stopping point or just decide when you're done tweaking? lol I know the feeling. My main questions are 1) how much of this is done with mpc's on the carvewright 2)what hardward are you using specifically 3) whatever can't be done on the carvewright what's needed for it and how's it done and 4) with the adjustable base, is there still a need for a specific thickness mdf did that go out the window? I know it's a work in progress and you're probably apprehensive of putting the mpc's out currently because it's not "done"- but if you're game to share (and I can get my machine to stop being special) I'm more than willing to give it a shot and share results. Unforunately I'm the very "cradle to grave" type needing things explained barney style to get it - but once I get it, IT'S ON! Thanks again for sharing thus far, i you weren't so far away I'd plan a visit for sure!
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

What I do not understand is why the machine bobs for the sliding plate after it fails to touch at the brass roller. Why air bob at the sliding plate when you know you cannot reach it? It makes sense to me to just ask for the board thickness after failing the touch at the brass roller.
    I think this is in error as to the Firmware in the last few builds and needs to be fixed this is based on the max size in z defaults to 5" now if you run ANY sled with bottom your effected and you have to input a number adding work to the operator.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 04-05-2015 at 05:14 PM.

That does seem like a lot to pay. Did I see stainless?

Quote Originally Posted by PSQRD View Post
    I still don't get why the board to be carved has to stand proud of the carrier. 1) how much of this is done with mpc's on the carvewright 2)what hardward are you using specifically 3) whatever can't be done on the carvewright what's needed for it and how's it done and 4) with the adjustable base, is there still a need for a specific thickness mdf did that go out the window?
    The reason the top of the board has to be proud of the carrier has to do with how the CW measures boards. When measuring a board length, the board sensor waits until a roller drops before it looks for the edge of the board. The roller switches tell the machine that the edge of the board is coming. Usually, in sleds, the machine has to measure at least one end of the sled as the rollers do not drop until they fall off the end of the sled. With this carrier, the rollers switch when the rollers pass from the proud board to the lower carrier. The machine then sees and measures the edge of the board. Later, the head gets clamped down tighter and the rollers do not switch when they pass from board to sled. The operation then proceeds as if the board were longer and is staying under the rollers. (Without this trick, at least one end of the carrier would have to be measured and then the carrier would have to have an "end" for the board sensor to measure.)

1) I think most all of it can be made on the CW. I did not make it all on the CW. I used a router table, band saw, and drill press as well as the CW.

2) The hardware is just furniture connecting bolts, T nuts, 3/8" ready rod, nuts and washers.

3) I used my router table to make the bob hole in the top of the right side. One could use a drill press and chisel? (Maybe the CW could do it after the carrier is made.)

4) I suppose one could use 3/4 MDF. I used 1/2 and 5/8. There are reasons why I used these sizes. MDF is so cheap, I do not think it is worth the trouble to change the design for 3/4.

Alright! I think (hope) you will really like the rotary jig.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	870.8 KB 
ID:	75504Told you I wasn't bsing. Finally got around to getting the ball rolling. Nuts and bolts added up to more than I expected but I was also gestimating the specific sizes and bolt types etc. it's late now and preparing a wall to wall inventory for the when the brass rolls through to inspect as far as work is concerned. Hoping to get my first one made (crossing my fingers it's not a failed attempt) by the weeks end. I'll keep you posted with the results!
    -Paul
    -Paul

Another idea is to turn it into a vise. As it is, the minimum board length is 6 inches as is for the CW machine. At least one roller must be applying pressure at all times to hold the board. I cannot, for example put a 4 inch long board in the carrier as it will have no downward force on it when it is between the rollers.

A long threaded bolt or two which squeezes the sides of the jig together could clamp the board independent of the roller pressure. The length of the board would not matter. (This would also allow boards to be slipped in and out without raising the head.)

Success. The strips work well. I made them a little thinner than the 1/4" so they are easy to slip in and out. (I also used the strips when measuring the width.) Goodby to the 7 inch rule!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000868.JPG  

I've broken the 7" rule in the past- placing carving on end and not "keeping under rollers" leaving about an inch from the side to not cause too much vibration during cutting. I found that occasionally it results in a line step down in my carves - pretty sure it's from that (the duration of time carving not under the roller. Haven't 100% confirmed it but something to keep an eye out for.. Having trouble uploading image from phone
    -Paul

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast