Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimental Board Carrier

I usually carve my signature on the back of most of my projects so it is nice to know that the carrier will handle 2-sided carves. Especially where both sides have to be aligned.
    Steve

Double sided carves seem to work ok. I tried to do one by measuring the carrier width instead of the board. (Measured at a non black spot on the sides.) It seems like this could be useful. The second width measurement, however, lined up with the black spots and measured the board instead. I need to do some more experimenting with this.

In the past, I have had many projects (double sided and single) ruined by the cutout in the end. That uncertainty in the final outcome (and fear of breaking cutting bits) has made the cutouts a stressful operation for me and other users. So far, all of my cutouts with these carriers have come out perfect. I am starting to believe that the carrier beats the bad tracking problems. If this is true, it may turn out to be the most important benefit of using the carrier.

Time will tell. If anyone has any tracking issues with these carriers, I want to know.

I just finished a Board Carrier very similar to the UCB 24 and packaged it up to send to the conference. I really hope the people at LHR give it a good work out. At the very least, I hope they put it out on display at the conference. I figure just using it to measure boards would make for an interesting demonstration. It has a few tweaks and some extra features.

1. It has the extra slots for the side clamping. (For sliding boards in and out while the carrier stays in the machine.)

2. I found some propell nuts which seem better than T nuts. http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...=3,43715,43727

3. I left out the stop blocks in the front and replaced them with removable dowel stops.

4. I put brass sleeves in the movable side to slide more easily on the ready rod. (Thanks to Steve Nelson for the idea.)

5. I added a new way to measure. Black on the left and silver tape on the right. You can use Place On Corner and not have to jog to a touch hole.

Anyway, if you have not made your own and see it at the conference, I hope you can play with it. If you have made your own and see it at the conference, you can show them how it works!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Exp Carrier 1.JPG   Exp Carrier 2.JPG  

That's a beautiful jig! (and functional too, of course!!) Can't wait to see it in person.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    That's a beautiful jig! (and functional too, of course!!) Can't wait to see it in person.
    It's yours. If you can talk them out of it, you can have it. Take it home from the conference.

Dan,

Do you plan to update the version in the Pattern Depot or do we have to buy it again to get the mods?
    Steve

I do plan to update the project at some point. I have a bit of a problem here. I cannot update the project every time a new idea comes along. I would have to do many rewrites of the instructions. (Connie might not be too happy for the extra work!)

I think I have a work around. I believe that I can post a Pattern Depot protected file here on the forum and only people who have bought the original will be able to open it. I could post updates for anyone who has bought into the project. It would be like beta testing between releases. After enough changes and testing have been done, the project could be updated in the pattern Depot and then all buyers informed.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    It's yours. If you can talk them out of it, you can have it. Take it home from the conference.
    Thank You very, very much! I'll try to talk them out of it, but I imagine it might be difficult once they get used to it! I believe it is a great "must have" accessory - saves money and saves lots of wood.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Thank You very, very much! I'll try to talk them out of it, but I imagine it might be difficult once they get used to it! I believe it is a great "must have" accessory - saves money and saves lots of wood.
    You are welcome. I know you would never have time to make it.

After sleeping on this, I have changed my tune a little.

If anyone who has bought into the UCB Project is interested in the carrier I made for the conference, here is the project file. It is protected by the licensing system and can only be opened if you have a license for the UCB Project.

This is a special carrier I have made for the conference and was not intended as an update to the UCB Project. It does have some trivial improvements that I plan to update the UCB project with, but it also has features which I plan to use in a new Advanced Carrier Base Project. The side clamping feature, for example, will be used for replication and double sided carving. My plan is to keep the UCB as a simple carrier and implement the more complicated "sliding boards in and out" operations with the ACB. I think the operation of the UCB, as it is, is complicated enough.

I would only be too happy to have members experiment with the more complicated carriers. To this end, I think I will post improvements and updates here in this thread. They will have to be protected files, and so, one does have to buy in to play.

(I hope posting protected files does not offend anyone.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UCB_24 B Protected.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast