Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimental Board Carrier

What I do not understand is why the machine bobs for the sliding plate after it fails to touch at the brass roller. Why air bob at the sliding plate when you know you cannot reach it? It makes sense to me to just ask for the board thickness after failing the touch at the brass roller.
    I think this is in error as to the Firmware in the last few builds and needs to be fixed this is based on the max size in z defaults to 5" now if you run ANY sled with bottom your effected and you have to input a number adding work to the operator.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 04-05-2015 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PSQRD View Post
    I still don't get why the board to be carved has to stand proud of the carrier. 1) how much of this is done with mpc's on the carvewright 2)what hardward are you using specifically 3) whatever can't be done on the carvewright what's needed for it and how's it done and 4) with the adjustable base, is there still a need for a specific thickness mdf did that go out the window?
    The reason the top of the board has to be proud of the carrier has to do with how the CW measures boards. When measuring a board length, the board sensor waits until a roller drops before it looks for the edge of the board. The roller switches tell the machine that the edge of the board is coming. Usually, in sleds, the machine has to measure at least one end of the sled as the rollers do not drop until they fall off the end of the sled. With this carrier, the rollers switch when the rollers pass from the proud board to the lower carrier. The machine then sees and measures the edge of the board. Later, the head gets clamped down tighter and the rollers do not switch when they pass from board to sled. The operation then proceeds as if the board were longer and is staying under the rollers. (Without this trick, at least one end of the carrier would have to be measured and then the carrier would have to have an "end" for the board sensor to measure.)

1) I think most all of it can be made on the CW. I did not make it all on the CW. I used a router table, band saw, and drill press as well as the CW.

2) The hardware is just furniture connecting bolts, T nuts, 3/8" ready rod, nuts and washers.

3) I used my router table to make the bob hole in the top of the right side. One could use a drill press and chisel? (Maybe the CW could do it after the carrier is made.)

4) I suppose one could use 3/4 MDF. I used 1/2 and 5/8. There are reasons why I used these sizes. MDF is so cheap, I do not think it is worth the trouble to change the design for 3/4.

I finally got a chance to play with the carrier and two sided projects. I thought I would try to cut from each side and meet in the middle. I made a cutout star on a 3/8" thick Designer board (actually two stars - front and back) and cut them from both sides of a 3/4" board. I figured the points of the star would really show how well the line up was. Worked out ok. Not perfect but I do not think we can hope for much better. The method could be used to do a 2" thick cut out.

The method was to put 1/8" shim strips under the board in the carrier for the measuring stage. After the board was measured, I slid the board out the back and removed the shims. I found I could do it without tripping the roller switches. (It does not really matter about the roller switches, just have to hit continue.) Clamped the head down, tightened the side clamp, and let it cut the front. After side one, I just loosened the side clamp, slipped the board out and flipped it. After it was done, I slipped in another board in and made a second star.

There was no clean up on the parts. I wanted a picture of just what came out of the machine. You will notice the tabs in the middle of the cuts. (The machine thought it was 3/8" thick and put tabs down at 3/8" from each side.)

Really cool to be able to slide boards in, cut them, and slide them out without having to measure them. Also, it is nice to know, after board one, exactly how board two will cut. Repeatability.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stars.JPG  
    Last edited by bergerud; 04-11-2015 at 09:34 PM.

any chance on a pdf file with all board cuts, sizes and hardware needed to build this puppy?
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

It is still in progress. Here are the files needed to make what I have so far. The sides layout is for a 33" X 13" X 5/8" board and the rails layout is for a 26" X 7" X 1/2" board. I would just use MDF. I just band sawed out the parts and cleaned up the edges with a straight, bearing bit on my router table. One can easily change the outlines to cutouts if one wants the CW to do all the work. The hardware is all simple stuff I have described before and you can see in the pictures.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 04-12-2015 at 12:04 AM.

Any chance of a video of setup?
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Sorry, but I am running out of gas. Lately I have posted files, instructions, and videos for a dust collecting rotary jig, a table saw dowel maker, and the poorman's board carrier. I thought these things were cool and, at least a few people, would want to make them and experiment with them. So far, I do not think anyone has built anything. Maybe no one wants to waste time making prototypes and would rather wait for the final product. Maybe it has to cost money before it is worth building.

Sorry to rant but all this posting and explaining ceases to be any fun for me if it is all just talk. I need to be inspired by seeing something actually get built!

NO!
    I for one have read this and been following your thread with much interest. I am sorting through just beginning using my CW after it sitting unused for over 7 years. I am wrestling with learning hardware (had a few issues, but it seems DC has cured most of them along with CarveTight chuck) and software learning curve. I am trying to create something myself to sell, and so far on second trial carving and still more changes needed to satisfy me. I am very interested, but don't want to put more on my plate till I work through what I am on now.

You live here!

Every time I get on here you are here too. You appear to be part engineer (we are a lot alike) and I find you have a much greater understanding of the nuts and bolts literally than anyone else. Figuring out ways to do things and creating things and processes I find intreging following along at the stuff you have engineered and worked through. Frankly your work shows a passion and get to the bottom of things that is inspiring to me.

Thank You for posting and sharing your discoveries and patterns. You have saved the rest of us untold hours trying to follow along. I spent the better part of last Saturday making and tweaking my first jig to save wasting material carving some honor ribbons for Real for Life fundraiser. I was wasting almost as much material as needed for ribbons and a jig just seemed to be the idea solution. I spend a great deal of thought and time designing and making things in order to make them the best I can see to and easiest to use and work with. That rarely works out to be quick and easy on the front end but pays good dividends in the using it part. You know exactly what I mean.
    Last edited by Mike58; 04-12-2015 at 09:24 AM. Reason: tablet keyboard disappeared
    A Series machine purchased in 2007
    had 30 minutes running time up till 2-13-15

Ring Neck Blues DC Insert (outstanding job keeping machine clean!), HF DC blower
    Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Pattern Sculptor, STL Importer, Scanning Probe, 2D Vector Drawing Suite, 3D Pattern Modeling Suite, Centerline text, Conforming Vectors, CarveTight Chuck, Decorative Bit set
    Universal Laser ILS series laser engraver with dual laser cartridges 135 watts total with 24" x 48" table and Class 4 module

Don't get me wrong, I am loving your idea. I just get Con fused when reading is all. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Sorry, but I am running out of gas. Lately I have posted files, instructions, and videos for a dust collecting rotary jig, a table saw dowel maker, and the poorman's board carrier. I thought these things were cool and, at least a few people, would want to make them and experiment with them. So far, I do not think anyone has built anything. Maybe no one wants to waste time making prototypes and would rather wait for the final product. Maybe it has to cost money before it is worth building.

Sorry to rant but all this posting and explaining ceases to be any fun for me if it is all just talk. I need to be inspired by seeing something actually get built!
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

I get confused as well. There are many different ways to use this thing. The only way to really figure it out is to build it and play with it.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast