Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions on carving 1x12 pine

Grain stress. This will also cup a board. Removing a lot of wood from 1 side. Glue up your wood in strips 3 to 4 inch flipping the grain is the best way to fix this. You can also glue Baltic Birch plywood to 1 side router the edge and fill the end grain. This is also used for thin carves 1/2 to 1/4 inch to strengthen for apliques.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    That is good additional info, Darren. I also do all of the above and more. Wish I could find a nearby place to get quartersawn wood...almost no issues with cup, etc.

they might have quarter sawn where we picked your wood up, I have never asked, I will call and find out. If we can cut this cedar tree down in my yard I will git sawn up only problem is the boards will only be 6-8'' wide

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo Sr View Post
    they might have quarter sawn where we picked your wood up, I have never asked, I will call and find out. If we can cut this cedar tree down in my yard I will git sawn up only problem is the boards will only be 6-8'' wide
    Thanks, Lonnie. Please let me know what you find out.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

My nearest hardwood supplier lets you pick what you want... from what they have on the rack anyway. The price on Select pine here is such that I am better off buying red oak. When I had my hardwood supply really going I did two things; I would buy the bulk standard stuff from a wholesaler and I would get what they sent on the truck, usually good stuff. I would also go to a large saw mill and get some specialty lumber, like sycamore and hackberry. I would also pick through the piles of rough sawn walnut, cherry, oak and maple to find special boards that were figured or super wide. I would sometimes spend a whole day going through the warehouse and bring home a pickup load of really cool boards to sell. I still have some of the really unusual ones in my personal stash.

One suggestion I would make, on the US forestry website for most states, they have a listing of people who run sawmills, small and large. See if you can find ones that are in your area and check it out. You can find nice lumber and a fraction of the price they home centers charge. A lot of them will surface it for you. If they don't offer that, check with your local high school and see if they teacher will let you use the equipment to mill your lumber... most will if you ask nice. I donate lumber to low income students to build projects every year, and that buys me the chance to use the 24" planer or 37" sander when I need to.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Thank you gentlemen for your input. Since this is a freebe for my sister in law i am using cheaper wood
    We haveba couple of chainsaw mills around here i will ask around for quartersawen lumber.
    Thanks for all your help and advice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12