Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Y Axis stall Err E05-0324

Default Y Axis stall Err E05-0324

Still fairly new with the machine (50 hours so far). Haven't learned all the ends and out yet.

Started getting this error during last carving attempt. Day was drier than normal and had a lot of static on the machine with saw dust sticking everywhere. Took the top off and did a thorough cleaning. Checked the y rollers and oiled them. Checked the y gear box and cleaned that out. No visible issues. Manual Y travel smooth without power. loosened the screw to re-tension the y-belt.

And still continue getting the error at the left end of travel right before it is supposed to find the surface. It does a little skip, hits the side of the case and error displays. Not sure what else to try. Anyone else have a suggestion on what to try next.

Aokweld just had the same problem and it was the head termination board. That is the circuit board where all the wires in the head connect. It is right beside the y motor and where the y motor plugs in. Check all the wire connections on that board.

What do you mean "a little skip"?

Thanks for the quick reply. No luck. I went and reseated all the connections. Problem still persistent.

While it is finding the bit depth, the truck starts traveling down it moves to the left hitting the case (very short travel) and error displays.

You mean the carriage moves sideways to the left while the z truck is going down? If so, very strange. I think one, in strange cases like this, should format and reflash the firmware on the card. Eliminate corrupt software as the cause of the problem.

The only mechanical reason I can think of for such behavior is the encoder disc on the y motor is loose. When the z is going down, the y is supposed to stay fixed. In fact, y is very hard to move when it stays fixed. Fixed, however, is relative to the markings on the encoder disc. If the disc was loose and slowly turning from, say, vibration, the y motor would turn to try and match it. That is the only thing which makes sense to me if the y moving when it is supposed to be stationary.

Thanks again for trying to help. Reformatted and re-flashed the card. Error still there.

Ran the y axis sensor test: -.074 and 15.675 within a point or two after several iterations of moving back and forth. Pulled out the y motor assembly. Visually I couldn't tell if there was anything loose in the sensor wheel assembly but I did not open it to physically check. At this point I would probably just break it or lose a part. I've lost daylight and I'll try again tomorrow looking at it but will have to call for help sometime during the week to CW.

Static build up was pretty bad so not sure if something got japped.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Static build up was pretty bad so not sure if something got japped.
    You may be right. It is a strange behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Still fairly new with the machine (50 hours so far). Haven't learned all the ends and out yet.

Started getting this error during last carving attempt. Day was drier than normal and had a lot of static on the machine with saw dust sticking everywhere. Took the top off and did a thorough cleaning. Checked the y rollers and oiled them. Checked the y gear box and cleaned that out. No visible issues. Manual Y travel smooth without power. loosened the screw to re-tension the y-belt.

And still continue getting the error at the left end of travel right before it is supposed to find the surface. It does a little skip, hits the side of the case and error displays. Not sure what else to try. Anyone else have a suggestion on what to try next.
    Just a quick check you the error point, The stall is occurring after it does the "finding bit" and touches the bit plate and travels back to the keyboard side and stalls before it even goes down to the the board????

Have you run the Y axis test from the user options (0,9)? or was your Y numbers from manually moving the Y truck back and forth while watching the Y reading?

If you have a new FFC cable I would unplug the one on the machine and just plug in the new one (no need to lace through the bracket at this point) and see if the stall still happens. It sounds like the machine is loosing its Y position for some reason.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

What he described which is strange is that the y moves sideways as the z moves down. (I myself wonder if the FFC ribbon has anything to directly do with the y system. It should really only be the z system and board sensor which run through the ribbon. Then again, shorts in that system cause open cover messages. So, who knows?)

This does seem like a new one.

I have seem some strange symptoms caused by a bad FFC cable my self, not just limited to the Z and board sensor, and if the spare was available it is an easy on to check just by plugging it in without lacing it in the bracket.

Another quick check, does the flex shaft rub on the top cover?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast