Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VMFA-115 Squadron Colors Flag Case

Default VMFA-115 Squadron Colors Flag Case

Well after a week of Frustration with Designer I got this Flag case completed. It was a great learning experiance thanks to all of you all here. I used this one as a proto type for the one that I am working on that means alot more to me. I mad the main case as I always do with 22.5 degree cuts on the lower corners. I added the lid which I don't normally do but it turned out well. I carved the patch for the center to have a 1/4in lip on the back side so it would fit inside the middle of the lid just above the glass. on the inside I placed a f-18. The entire case is made from some Oak 4x4 I got from taking down an old barn. By the Way if anyone has a better f-18 Please let me know.
    Thanks again everone for your help.
    David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-02-27 23.30.01.jpg   2011-02-27 23.30.11.jpg   2011-02-27 23.29.38.jpg   2011-02-27 23.30.26.jpg  

David Greer
    "Woodworking is the Illusion of Perfection"
    Shadowboxs, Kbar Holders, Sword Holders Etc.
    Find Me on Facebook
    Email Me if you need something

2. Default

That is a great project ... very nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by lilskip View Post
    Well after a week of Frustration with Designer I got this Flag case completed. It was a great learning experiance thanks to all of you all here. I used this one as a proto type for the one that I am working on that means alot more to me. I mad the main case as I always do with 22.5 degree cuts on the lower corners. I added the lid which I don't normally do but it turned out well. I carved the patch for the center to have a 1/4in lip on the back side so it would fit inside the middle of the lid just above the glass. on the inside I placed a f-18. The entire case is made from some Oak 4x4 I got from taking down an old barn. By the Way if anyone has a better f-18 Please let me know.
    Thanks again everone for your help.
    David
    I have a F-18 Hornet pattern, but it is a different view.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-18 Hornet.jpg   F-18 Hornet.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

That looks simply amazing!!!

I don't mean to critique your F-18, but it looks to me as though you've carved it using a fairly large feather setting. Have you considered carving a circle around it, to the depth, so that it will give the F-18 a bit more 'pop'? I noticed that your cut lines do form a bit of a circle, so it would probably take very little work to have it carved in the centre of the existing circle on the back.

My two cents - I certainly don't mean to offend. This is amazing, beautiful work!
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Quote Originally Posted by DurhamDev View Post
    That looks simply amazing!!!

I don't mean to critique your F-18, but it looks to me as though you've carved it using a fairly large feather setting. Have you considered carving a circle around it, to the depth, so that it will give the F-18 a bit more 'pop'? I noticed that your cut lines do form a bit of a circle, so it would probably take very little work to have it carved in the centre of the existing circle on the back.

My two cents - I certainly don't mean to offend. This is amazing, beautiful work!
    I wasn't real happy with the F-18 either I think its to shallow. i had it set a depth of .100 and a hieght of 100, feather was set at 1/8. I like the one that BJB posted I'll try it on the next one if he doen't mind me using it. The F18 was just a after thought on the inside of the case to mainly do a proof of concept type thing. to ge the bugs worked out of my process so hopely I can do it less than a week next time haha. The main things I wanted to acomplish with this one is make a good carving of the patch without the lettering getting chipped out, the other is to get accurate recesses on the back so it would fit into the frame of the lid nice and snug without leaving a gap.
    I welcome critics to give there opinions that if why I put it here so I can learn from my mistakes and to make things better on the next one.
    David Greer
    Find Me on Facebook

Very nice job lilskip, I'm sure you will get it down just the way you like it. Thanks for posting.

CarverJerry
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Quote Originally Posted by lilskip View Post
    I wasn't real happy with the F-18 either I think its to shallow. i had it set a depth of .100 and a hieght of 100, feather was set at 1/8. I like the one that BJB posted I'll try it on the next one if he doen't mind me using it. The F18 was just a after thought on the inside of the case to mainly do a proof of concept type thing. to ge the bugs worked out of my process so hopely I can do it less than a week next time haha. The main things I wanted to acomplish with this one is make a good carving of the patch without the lettering getting chipped out, the other is to get accurate recesses on the back so it would fit into the frame of the lid nice and snug without leaving a gap.
    I welcome critics to give there opinions that if why I put it here so I can learn from my mistakes and to make things better on the next one.
    You could carve the pattern I made in 3/8 or 1/2 inch stock and glue it to your project, The pattern (PTN) is too large to post, PM me your e-mail I could send you the pattern folder. I save my patterns in files with the Image, MPC, PTN and the MPW files, and store them on CD’s

I also have the Enemy view; I need to clean the image to make it carve better. Most of the AF images show the panel lines, I need to remove a few of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-18 oval.jpg   F-18 Hornet Ground View_NORM.jpg   F-18 cut path.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

That's a good looking pattern, BJ.

You don't know where I could find a 1991 Beechcraft - Bonanza F33A do you?
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Yes BJ its a great pattern its a f-18A because it has a 1 piece panel on the inner wing and no antennas behind the canopy unless you removed those lines to clean it up. But it looks awsome.
    Thanks again.
    David
    David Greer
    Find Me on Facebook

David,
    Excellent project and very nice finishing. Bravo Zulu
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast