Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: height of letters

If the outside of your shape was a pattern, you could make it pierced and it would cut through at the edge of the pattern with the carving bit. You would have to add your own tabs.

But, your pattern is a sweep. The 3d tool generated shapes do not work with pierce.

Make your sweep into a pattern and the apply pierce to the pattern and add tabs.

I suppose you could also make your sweep go through and add the tabs.

I stopped the carve I'll play with it and see what happens... Also I'm going to take pictures of the rotary jig so you can see how I mounted it.

Dan, I have the way that I have it mounted the end caps in living color. some of the pictures are what Mike posted about doing the rotory jig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0408 (800x451).jpg   DSCF0409.JPG   DSCF0412.JPG   DSCF0413.JPG  

DSCF0415.JPG  
    Last edited by aokweld101; 03-09-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    If the outside of your shape was a pattern, you could make it pierced and it would cut through at the edge of the pattern with the carving bit. You would have to add your own tabs.

But, your pattern is a sweep. The 3d tool generated shapes do not work with pierce.

Make your sweep into a pattern and the apply pierce to the pattern and add tabs.

I suppose you could also make your sweep go through and add the tabs.
    Dan,

The "Pierced" feature will work with the sweep and revolve tools if you extend the line of the profile across to the center. In this example, I changed the sweep to a revolve and extended the top line to the center in the revolve tool setup. I also change the center to a pocket cut. I think it will cut much faster without the sloped side walls.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve

Nice trick Steve. You added a carve region behind the scene for which piercing does work. (Will not the machine now skim carve the whole surface? Maybe a 0 carve region on top instead of extending the sweep to center.)

It is, however, still important for all to know that piercing does not directly work on the 3d objects.

Dan,

In this case, he really didn't need a pierced carving. The thickness of the board is only .75 inches and he can make the outside perimeter a cutout. All I really did was to select the outside perimeter, where the sweep was applied, and offset it to the outside by .25 inches. I then made the offset a pierced carve region. It works because the center part is filled in and the pierced feature doesn't try to make it part of the pierced carve region. I didn't get the horizontal line exactly at the top of the board so it probably will skim carve if the machine is accurate to.008 inches. I don't think a zero depth carve region would work. But, then again, it might with a merge and a clip applied.

I have made several carvings this way. The most recent was the lamp bases for my mesquite lamps. They were 1.5 inches thick so a pierced carving had to be used. IMHO, they came out pretty good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lamp Base2.jpg   Lamps.jpg  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 03-11-2015 at 09:49 AM.
    Steve

Steve,

The lamp bases are gorgeous. I will have to find out if the hardwood store where I buy lumber sometimes can get some for me.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemi View Post
    Steve,

The lamp bases are gorgeous. I will have to find out if the hardwood store where I buy lumber sometimes can get some for me.

Mike
    Thanks. Actually, the mesquite I used was firewood that was given to me. It took a lot of prep time to finally get good enough pieces to do the project. But, what the heck, the price was right.
    Steve

I've been making alot of litho's I'm going to set them up as mike suggested at photo shops here in town and see what happens... I went to .113 depth and stayed with 450 height.. I got it figured out at the cost of 8 feet of pipe I got out easy on learning..lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0416 (800x451).jpg   DSCF0417 (800x451).jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12