Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lock Handle

Default Lock Handle

Hey guys
    I had a problem here. I went to lock the head down, and the handle came off in my hand,
    I have been trying for two days to get the thing back on. I just can not get the rods lined up
    (and in the holes) so that I can put the screw back in. This is about the worst design I have seen
    in the system. It would have been so easy to put pins or keepers on the end of those rods.
    They just will not stay in the holes so that I can screw the cup on. One end or the other
    keeps popping out, ( to short from bend to end?) Help...

Bob Tomasino
    Bobtom

Are you sure you have the parts the right way around? Have you looked at (page 5):

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...ist_manual.pdf

Yes I have the parts diag. in front of me.
    Thanks

It does take the right combination (alignment and luck ) to get it done. I spent well over 30 minutes of ^*&))!! and then it just jell into place.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I agree. my luck has not been running to well lately.
    Thanks for the input. I was beginning to think I was missing something.
    Bobtom

There may be a chance of just putting it back together, as it did just fall apart. From what i can see in the parts drawing. The rods being double bent on the handle end, would mean they get installed first then the single bent end inserted into it's hole in the lockdown clamp arms(64-65).

Just went and looked at these parts in my machine. There are 6 socket head shoulder screws(63) holding the lockdown clamp arms(64-65) to the head. Three on each side. You only have to lower one side to fix this issue. Lower one arm by loosening the three screws on that side. Remove the rod the the hole and remove from machine. Install the handle on the rod that is still in machine. Now installed the removed rod on to the handle. Insert the rod into the hole that you remove it from. Tighten the three screws that hold the arm. Install the retaining screw, cup washer, o-ring protector, and o-ring. Looks like less than a half hour job and you are back carving again. Just a note all screws involved in this project use a 4mm hex key.

Thanks to all that replied. I will try this latest on my machine and will let you all know how it turns out.
    Once again Thank you all for taking the time to respond.
    Bob Tomasino
    Bobtom

Being all in parts is probably not a good thing but I've not used the lock in years.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Hey guys.
    Success. I finally got it back together again.
    I will be checking that screw for looseness on a regular basis.

To all who answered with advise, I thank you.
    It was greatly appreciated, and the advise was invaluable.

Bob Tomasino
    Bobtom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast