Thread: Clean your machine!!!

Default Clean your machine!!!

So with a whopping 50 hours under my belt with the CW I started thinking this is just too east. Just hit start and walk about to come back to a sweet carving….not so fast there big guy. After about 5 attempts of 2 different patterns…all unsuccessful by the way, I started questioning why I bought this sticking machine and I just have a nice looking piece of junk. I was having all sorts of problems, stalls, etc.

So after going through a couple of the troubleshooting videos, I started seeing a common theme……some reference to keeping the machine clean and lubricated. Well I went to the auto parts store and local hardware store to get a few different flavors of lube, grease and compressed air. I spent a good 30-45 minutes getting all the dust cleaned out and getting everything all lubed and greased.

With reservation, I loaded up a piece of wood and fired it up. PERFECTION!

I thought I was doing good by blowing out the machine between carves but now I know that is just a start. A little dust build up can be very frustrating and the little time to put into a good deep clean and lube will pay huge dividends.

Blowing dust also blows it up into your electronics and every nook and cranny. Invest in dc insert. Both are great for collecting it right when it is created.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

My biggest mistake was thinking that the machine would work just blowing it out with compress air, finnaly got a shop vac a little later and used that, last week I bought a harbor freight dust collector and the difference is as night and day.

Yes a clean machine is a happy machine, not to mention a happy carver. For lube I recommend going with a dry lube versus grease type lubes. The dry lube will prevent the saw dust from sticking to the parts and building up.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Floyd, what brand of lube do you use?

Anyone used spray graphite? Found it as a garage door lube and works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    Floyd, what brand of lube do you use?
    Dupont Dry Lube with Teflon.. http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Non-Sti.../dp/B003UTX0R8

I spray it on a rag and then wipe it on the rails and bearing faces. Before doing so I spay wd-40 on a rag to clean.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks, I will see if I can buy it in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    My biggest mistake was thinking that the machine would work just blowing it out with compress air, finnaly got a shop vac a little later and used that, last week I bought a harbor freight dust collector and the difference is as night and day.
    I too have a Harbour Freight dust collector and I suggest replacing the standard 5 micron bag with a 1 micron bag. This will make a huge difference in the air quality in your shop. My old bag spewed out as much dust as it contained. The CW was clean but the air was full of fine particles. I had a custom bag made by American Fabric Filter Company as I had to fit it into a low ceiling, pipe filled basement. So mine looks like a giant mushroom short but 4' in diameter. You can get a standard 1 micron bag to fit from Penn State Industries for about $75. Happy carving!