Thread: Joining pieces for larger projects

Default Joining pieces for larger projects

I have been browsing through this section regarding info on joining pieces for larger projects...the posts we (somewhat) dated. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience/luck in doing so (besides pkunk (nice job)) I would appriciate any info. Thanks in advance.

BTW- if anyone saw my rantings in the troubleshooting section, turned out to be a faulty power control unit - many thanks to the bard for all his help, and to CarveWright for their speedy shipment of the replacement part, and to everyone in the forum who posted ideas, feedback, comments.

I thought that maybe I could create the layout in photoshop full size (say 40"w x 36"h), crop it to 12"h segments and make each 12" segment individual projects - my question is would I need to create a jig for the individual pieces so I could carve edge to edge? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
    I thought that maybe I could create the layout in photoshop full size (say 40"w x 36"h), crop it to 12"h segments and make each 12" segment individual projects - my question is would I need to create a jig for the individual pieces so I could carve edge to edge? Any thoughts?
    Instead of a jig, cut from a slightly wider piece of wood, and then have the Carvewright cut the piece out for you.

I'm making tombstone Halloween props, and am designing them in two halves. They are pretty simple, but have routed lines and text that needs to match up. I haven't joined my pieces yet, but they look like they will come together without any hassle, but I'm not sure how well more intricate carvings would fit together.

Cool

Hopefully carvewright will make it easier in the future. They have overcome many other obsticles. The nice thing about this machine is that it seems to be adaptable to new thoughts long after it is built
    If You Saw What We Sawed!!

North Bay Woodworking

If you don't want to make waves......get off of the boat!

I would think that since the CW is basically doing what the computer tells it to do that the possibilities are almost endless. If they can program it, CW can carve it. Ain't this some great stuff! The CW may just end up being the best investment I've made on woodworking equipment, God knows I made some "investments"
    Bill

As my Grandpa used to say "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased!"

Talking makeing wide projects

the way ive been doing it is to devide the progect up do the layout put on the peace let it hang over to the TOP always load it carve it go back move the peace to line up on the next board the load carve worked for me several times made 3 signs 18 24 32 in wide
    try to doit all but only what i can