Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Dragon steam punk themed cabinet

The wings look great, thank you.

Looking at it again I agree with completely. The hinges just don't work. I knew I was rushing it and got what was available at Lowes but I should have waited and got what actually matched the design. I was actually amazed how much I got done today in 4 hours. More surprising I didn't screw up something horribly by rushing it so much.

The idea of doing wooden hinges would totally rock. When I get back from my trip I will make an attempt to design some using a dragon head. Thank you for the great idea.

Default Dragon claw hinges

Back from my business trip so jumped into designing some hinges for my cabinet. I finally ended up with some dragon claw hinge design. You will need a scroll saw to cut the hinge knuckles (I had to look up what that part was called) and drill a hole for the center pin. I made the design as a double sided carve but for myself I decided to only do a single sided carve with clean up work on the belt sander or bandsaw. I have not had good luck with two sided carvings.

I am hoping I will have them done by tomorrow so will post pictures on how they look and if any adjustments have to be made. If they work I'll post the patterns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW dragon claw hinges .jpg  

Why don't you make the hinge parts separate? Even if you can cut them apart with a scroll saw, they will be loose.

You have to know what you are doing for precision work. lol.

I am completely winging it. These are my very first hinges I have ever made but I can guarantee these will be one of a kind. I forgot to take measurements of the door stiles so I am hoping they just fit loose or otherwise.

Sometimes dumb luck works for you. I just finished the first hinge and I am very happy with it.

Dan, you were right they are a little loose but it should work. The hinge is bigger than the stile but again dumb luck it looks great. I wish I would have planned it that way instead of it just happening. I did have to use my belt sander to round over the edges of the knuckles. Sanding will be required it you want them clean but this is the perfect look I am going for.

Three more to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3368.jpg   IMG_3369.jpg   IMG_3370.jpg   IMG_3371.jpg  

Not perfect and you should build a jig to align the pin hole perpendicular to the stile. I did it by eye on my drill press so not perfect but I was losing daylight.

Mine definitely have a little bit of wiggle but that is okay for a piece of furniture that is for me.

I used my scroll saw to separate the pieces. I am enclosing the two sided carve which you should not have to do a whole lot of cutting other than a utility knife and then some heavy sanding. I have not tried the pattern so don't know if its any good. I am happy with the one sided carving though it does have more after carving clean up work.

The claw hinge pattern is the one I used for my project. Again, I have not carved the two sided patterns but if you do carve it please post a pic so I can see how it came out.

Did all four hinges in about 5 hours which included design (had a rough idea from day dreaming during my meetings), carving and clean up of the carving. Carving time on the four hinges was 2 hrs 40 min. I am assuming the two sided carve will take longer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW dragon claw top.jpg   CW dragon claw bottom.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

blhutchens, thank you for the great suggestion to attempt to go with wooden hinges. I hung the doors this morning and I am very pleased on how they came out. It looks so much better than the fence hinges I had on there before.

Now to the top to figure out a design and accent carving appliques. That will be next weekend. I used the last board of black walnut on the hinges. I'll have to pick some more up during the week.

Sorry about the bad lighting. With all the rain we have been getting I moved it indoors so it wouldn't get wet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steam punk cabinet 4.jpg  

Those hinges really do look great.

That is one neat looking cabinet, really like the hinges.

Great build looks GREAT!
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast