Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon steam punk themed cabinet

Default Progress

Had a good Saturday. Started assembling the cabinet. It does not have the amount of carvings I initially thought I wanted. The wife stated, "it's too busy and you lose the figures". So I am going to listen and see how it looks (if I need to I can add appliques later). I have learned I am happier when I make her happy. Still have not thought out what the top will look like. Once complete I will post plans with dimensions since I am literally doing the design as I go.

Hopefully you can't tell the scales on the feet are opposite of each other after my glue up issue on I can't remember if its up or down...so I'll just wing it and guess...I have a 50/50 chance I am right. lol. Yup. I am one of them.

I can't wait to apply the poly and see what treasure I have in the wood pattern. I have bits and pieces of purple heart and paduk which I will be throwing in for visual impact.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3347.jpg   IMG_3348.jpg  

Glad it turned out in the end. Detail looks great and should finish nicely. I will try to remember the seond carve as a fix.
    Thx for sharing
    Rick H

That is looking really cool. I am enjoying following your build!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default rosettes

Thanks. I am hoping it comes out good in the end.

I am again rained out. It is supposed to rain all today and pretty much the rest of the week and then I am traveling the following week so I will have a pause in construction. Frustrating when I want to finish it now. So I am stuck indoors so I will make rosette patterns today for practice. I'll just load them as I finish them through out the day. Nothing special but want to play with basic 3d primitives and see what I can build with them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails geometric rosette1.jpg   geometric rosette2.jpg   geometric rosette3.jpg   geometric rosette4.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files

I know the earlier patterns were on the funky side so here are more traditional ones but still funky.

Also want to share my growing amazement in Blender 3d. So made a quick and dirty tile with the blender mascot. It is a primitive in the program so its literally a one button push to create. The tile is made from a basic circle and two squares plus the model. I am including the model separately if you want to play with it for other projects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails geometric rosette7.jpg   geometric rosette8.jpg   blender 3d tile.jpg  

Default Not part of the project but want to share

I had a half hour this afternoon so jumped on my command emblem project. I am very pleased with how it came out. It is going on my love me wall.

I will be playing more with inlays in the future. I have built a few plaques lately but this one I believe really turned out nice. The maple and black walnut really give good contrast. The nice part is I still have the cutouts that could become a second plaque except for opposite colors. Maple in black walnut (though I will have to carve deeper to get contrast in the maple). Maybe this Saturday I'll give it a try. I know my buddies will be jealous of this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Global Strike emblem.jpg  

That certainly does look really nice!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default wings

Edit: blah blah blah. I had a lot of stuff before you all don't care about so only kept main point (the pattern).

Enclosed are some wings. Many possible uses.

As an example I combined it with a flag I have shared previously for a simple design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW wings.jpg   CW wings 2.jpg  

Default More progress

Deferred doing work I had to do to get the project a little further along before my trip. Put a lot of the piece parts together.

Still needs a little bit of detail work. Molding to cover all the inside joints and some reinforcing wood spars internal the case to hold the top. Still haven't designed it yet.

I am still on the fence whether it needs more carvings. At this point they would be appliques that would go on the flat blank areas.

Thoughts? Yes: more carvings! or No: enough is enough.

Once the oil/poly goes on the black walnut will be much darker and really provide good contrast with the maple. Steam punk is a mixture of primitive with modern but I may have missed the mark on the hinges. Maybe okay when the poly is applied.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steam punk cabinet 3.jpg   steam punk cabinet 1.jpg   steam punk cabinet 2.jpg  

You are truly an artist!!!! Maybe some hammered copper hinges, wrought iron, or wooden hinges shaped like a dragon head…….or wing

here are some I did a while back. I am sure you can do better……...
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast