Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dragon steam punk themed cabinet

Great build looks GREAT I will try those hinges
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Good job Oscar,
    I knew you would come up with something.
    thanks for sharing !!
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Thank you all. Still have a ways to go but it is coming along. Can't wait to finish it and see what it looks like. Still have no idea of what to do with the top. I keep playing with the idea of using tiles for the top but not sure if it would esthetically go with the theme.

Default Reason for the slow down in the cabinet build

I have a friend who is retiring from the Air Force after 27 years and I was hoping they would ask me to make his going away gift. And they did!...but not in the direction I was hoping for. They asked for a stained glass piece and not in Tiffany style but traditional caming. I was hoping for a chance to show off what CW can do now that I am starting to understand its eccentricities a little better but they were specific on what they wanted. So something that should have taken about 2 weeks to build I managed to do in about 4 days which means I cut corners and not the quality I would have like but it was done by the deadline which is tomorrow.

Frame is hard maple with a clear lacquer finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3377.jpg   IMG_3382.jpg  

Finally made the decision to go with tile for the top. 3x18in tiles in a neutral earthy brown with rough texture.

Next step is to design the edge for it. I will be going with black walnut with a carved design. The design will be done sometime during the week.

I also don't like the way the back feet look so I'll be wrapping some black walnut around them to beef them up and also hopefully integrate them better into the design. Right now they just look like I was too lazy to do real legs (which I was).

Final step will be to carve out the appliques to add flourish and more wow factor to the piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steam punk cabinet 5.jpg   steam punk cabinet 6.jpg   steam punk cabinet 7.jpg  

Oscarl48, that is going to be a master piece. Lots of hard work and love is going into it.
    Last edited by eelamb; 04-26-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

I love watching this taking shape from the beginning. Almost there and getting more anxious with every post!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default Stoked

Final carvings were completed this morning and now putting all the pieces together.

First coat of poly on the base has been applied. Tomorrow morning I'll apply the last coat, install the top and apply the grout to the tile. It will then be all done. Its been a great project and the end is just a day away.

The last two carvings were the top's front and side to cover the plywood base I used for the tile. All elements were previously used in other parts of the cabinet.

I'll post the final pics of the cabinet tomorrow.

For a piece that I designed as I went along it doesn't suck. (I am incredibly happy because it could have gone the other way very quickly)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dragon cabinet first coat.jpg   dragon cabinet top front.jpg   dragon cabinet top side.jpg  

Oscar,

You have taken us on a wonderful journey through your thought process on the design to come, your elements being developed and then integrated and the whole build process. Your documentation and pattern sharing made it just like we have been there with you all the way. Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us and we await tomorrow anxiously. A round of applause Sir.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Default Final pictures

Thank you. Its been a fun project but I am glad its done. Enclosed are pictures of the final cabinet. It is truly one of a kind. Even if someone tries to build one from my rough draft, I did not follow that draft closely. It was more of a suggestion to myself.

On the positive side the wood selection was perfect for the feeling I wanted the piece to convey, which was steam punk. It is supposed to be a cross between steam industrial, Victorian, and fantasy.

Now for the things I should have done differently.

1. First and foremost, I should have developed a real plan and used it to the tee (the build took 3x longer than it should).
    2. If you do go with tile, plan the structure to hold and connect the top substrate early. It is heavy. The top alone is around 40lbs the way I build it and I had a heck of time figuring out how to hold it done securely. I ended up with metal braces which is not very elegant and kind of embarrassing as a woodworker.
    3. The doors are too small for the cabinet. If you do build it either redesign the doors to be bigger or move them to the ends. It will be hard to use the entire space efficiently within the cabinet with the small opening.
    4. Build a cabinet substructure to attach the legs and the sides. (this is hard to do without a plan)

And a final (and on-going) thanks to all on this site and other sites who have shared their wonderful art, skills and time on the patterns I have borrowed to build my pieces. I am getting better but still have a long ways to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails final dragon cabinet2.jpg   final dragon cabinet1.jpg   final dragon cabinet3.jpg   final dragon cabinet4.jpg  

final dragon cabinet5.jpg  

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast