Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon steam punk themed cabinet

Default Dragon steam punk themed cabinet

My next big project is a dragon steam punk themed cabinet I want to use to display a stained glass dragon I built a while ago that I will be wiring up as a lamp. I plan for it to be an evolutionary and iterative process since I only have a general idea of what it will look like. I will allow the creative energies to finalize the design. As part of the design I do want dragon claw and ball feet which I am starting to get a better feel on how to accomplish that. I have a prototype of the feet in the pattern help section. I won't be using those specifically but probably something similar.

The unit will be about 3' by 30" and 2' deep. It will be mostly black walnut and maple with laser engraved granite tiles as accents.

I haven't seen too many large projects on here and thought it would be fun to document my progress and also share the design patterns. They will be in piece parts so you will be free to modify the design if you choose.

First design to share are the side rails of the cabinet. They will be bordered in maple. They will be mirrored looking into the middle of the piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dragon side panel.jpg   stained glass dragon.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

More random bits and pieces. First notional header design. Including skull with top hat and steam punk goggles. All credit goes to Poniu for the 3d skull model on Blender swap. The top hat is my model. Quick and dirty. Individual patterns enclosed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails header1.jpg  

This is going to be an interesting thread to watch develop.

Sharon,

I hope it is interesting or at least fun to see me build a monstrosity. I am hoping for a piece of art but I have been known to build a Frankenstein once or twice.

On the long edges I want to put small carving down the edge. I was thinking maybe a dragon eye something like the seeing eye in Lord of the Rings. Here is my first effort. Not 100% satisfied but a first start.

Now back on trying to figure out how to model dragon scales for my legs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dragon eye.jpg  

Slightly different claw and ball foot. I'll attempt to do a test carve this weekend. If it comes out half decent this will be the one I go with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my dragon steam punk claw and ball foot.png  

Rough plan of the cabinet. All the squiggly lines are carving areas of patterns I haven't done yet. Also another dragon eye variant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rough plan.jpg   dragon eye 2.jpg  

Got one foot carved. Its not 100% perfect but it does have some unique appeal that I like. Massive static build up on my machine and y and z roller errors with all the debry sticking to everything so a good cleaning tomorrow morning and a second attempt to carve the second foot. It took 3.5 hours so will only use two for the front and basic square legs in the back where they won't be seen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dragon claw and ball foot 2.jpg   dragon claw and ball foot.jpg  

Interesting project! Looking great, watching it with interest!

dbemus

Wow. I am having one of them days. After several hours working on this dragon model and being really happy with the final pattern I checked the dimensions of the door and...not even close. I confused the size of the project with an old one in my head.

Back to the design board but I'll still share this pattern. Still have to go with best bit optimization due to the thin sections and again fairly deep pattern to get the details out of it. Hope someone finds it useful at some point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dragon door.jpg  

I'm sure they will be useful to lot of people. Great work!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast