Quote Originally Posted by SteveEJ View Post
Well, one good reason is that it would leave tabs so the carved area would not detach from the stock. That's what the cutout function is for. Carve the area or part you want carved then apply the cutout and the software adds tabs. You could do it manually later if you wish to do it your way. It really does not take much time to change a bit. Much more standardized way of cutting parts out. If you don't use the cutout or add the tabs to your project then when the part detaches from the stock there is nothing from keeping it from flopping around in the cutout area and damaging your machine. JMHO
Steve I understand you points and that was EXACTLY what I did. I added 4 lines - 2 at each end and used the place tabs button to make 4 tabs to hold the plaque in place. The outer sides (edges) are tapered and get wider at the bottom or back side edge than the top rounded over edge. The carving bit is already working the complete side of the edge so once the carving is done the part is pretty much already cut thru except for the tabs.

I did use the cutout on the first one that I did and changed the bit from the carving bit to the cutting bit as you as saying. I didn't have the edge profile sloped as much the first time and didn't have any feather on the edge that I did add to the file uploaded.