Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting Photo for carving

Default Converting Photo for carving

I have tried to convert this photo into a gray scale with no luck. I am trying to use Adobe Photoshop 6.0 I am not that familiar with Adobe. I have read threads on here praising Corel Draw X3. I have looked online for Corel Draw X3 online and found different types of software suites ranging from $103.00 to over $300.
    My other question is how large must a file be so that it is not pixelated when it is enlarged. The photo I want to carve is 16kb. With Corel Draw X3 are you able to enlarge the file so that it does not get pixelated? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I have done a few carvings but mostly are just signs with lettering.
    The photo below is what I am trying to carve. I would like to set the cut out so that the entire logo is cut out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gnark.jpg  

Hey, CWC....

Can you post a high-quality .jpg of that pic? I don't know how large you can post here, but if it won't let you, send me a PM and I'll give you my email address....

I'll do a quicky rework on it for you...

Later,
    Jon
    Free Tutorials, Patterns & Projects at www.ALLCW.com

Quote Originally Posted by CustomWestCoast View Post
    I have tried to convert this photo into a gray scale with no luck. I am trying to use Adobe Photoshop 6.0 I am not that familiar with Adobe. I have read threads on here praising Corel Draw X3. I have looked online for Corel Draw X3 online and found different types of software suites ranging from $103.00 to over $300.
    My other question is how large must a file be so that it is not pixelated when it is enlarged. The photo I want to carve is 16kb. With Corel Draw X3 are you able to enlarge the file so that it does not get pixelated? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I have done a few carvings but mostly are just signs with lettering.
    The photo below is what I am trying to carve. I would like to set the cut out so that the entire logo is cut out.
    The photo you have uploaded is too small. Adobe Photoshop will do what you need to do, but may not be the best tool for the job. Because the minimum step of the CarveWright in best mode is .005", 200dpi should suffice for carving.

The reason the Corel Draw, Illustrator, Xara, etc. are commonly in use is because the are vector graphics programs, meaning that the graphics created by them are saved as lines, curves, and shapes, that can be enlarged to any size without pixelation, and individual elements of the drawings can be changed and manipulated without affecting other elements. They can very quickly and easily make smooth curves of solid colors or smooth gradients, which provide good results when carved. Also, because each shape is on its own layer, it allows drawings to be created layer by layer, which can make it easier to visualize the carving. If you are good with photoshop, you can get very good results with that program, however you will need to make sure that you create an image of appropriate size prior to import, and you will need to create your layers manually. Since you are not great with photoshop at this point, you might consider trying Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, or Xara Xtreme, since it may be easier for you.

Finally, you should probably export your images in .png format rather than .jpg, as artifacts created by the .jpg format show up as bumps in the carving.

Good luck!
    Last edited by CallNeg151; 03-06-2007 at 01:45 AM.

CallNeg, I have been exporting all my graphics as .PNG lately and like that format a lot... you can also use the mask to create a transparent background in .PNG....
    Free Tutorials, Patterns & Projects at www.ALLCW.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jantz View Post
    CallNeg, I have been exporting all my graphics as .PNG lately and like that format a lot... you can also use the mask to create a transparent background in .PNG....
    Yeah, I've been using PNG since I discovered artifacts in my first few projects that used JPG even at lowest compression levels. I hadn't tried to use the mask (I just create a white background, and click the "Lower" button once), but the a transparency layer is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jantz View Post
    Hey, CWC....

....... I don't know how large you can post here,........

Jon
    Jon, as soon as you try to "Manage Attachments" it tells you in the first window what sizes are possible.

To try and bring people's attention to it, I've posted a thread on the topic.

I hope you can help spread the word, as a lot of people seem to be missing that.

John

Ozark, Alabama, United States, 108704179153666, Ozark, Alabama

Default see what this looks like

I was playing with that picture not sure if it is what you want
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bamaman315; 03-06-2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: forgot the picture

Default Bamaman 315

The MPC file looks great. I was hoping to cut out the entire outline of the carving. The board I plan on using is 11.25 X 24.00. I think this would be large enough to cut out the outine of the carving without problems. I have attached the original JPG that I am working from.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gnark.jpg  
    Last edited by CustomWestCoast; 03-06-2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Attachment

Default Raster VS Vector

In reading the forum, about raster vs vector and carving photographs,
    I was not sure I understood the difference. I have the programs:
    Adobe Photoshop, Digital Image Pro, and Corel Paint Shop Pro X.
    I used Digial Image to convert the .jpg (Photo 1) to a black and
    whiite .bmp. I then used Adobe to clean up the image and saved
    as .bmp. I then opened it in Corel and saved it as a .wmf. I then
    reopened it in Corel and increased the size, and saved it as a .png.
    Used that file to import to designer. (Test.mpc) Am I on the right
    track, or are there steps I missed, or better ways to do these
    things. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions from any
    of you, who have much more experience with this kind of graphic
    manipulation. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Original.jpg  

Default Invert And Region

I New At This Myself But Just Inverting And Carving A Region Helps A Little. Photo Still Needs Cleaned Up Though?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast