Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOOPS It Jumped

Default WOOPS It Jumped

Anyone have an idea for the cause of this? All of a sudden the bit went to a spurious location and continued carving.

Resin Flower Top-2.mpcResin Flower Top-2.mpcClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0770.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	74483

The y belt slipped. It maybe simply that the bit is dull. There are many other reasons this can happen. How many hours on the machine? Done any repairs lately? Any error messages associated with the slip?

The bit is a new 1/16" long carving bit cutting to a depth of 1". 149 hrs 19 min. Cut the cover off of the board sensor and general clean and lube. I am embarrassed to admit that I was so shocked that I did not pay attention to error messages but I think there was a message about Y axis.

I feel that this is the current "weak spot" with these machines.
    This has ruined more of my projects than anything else, including user error.
    I do not have a lot of hours on my currently used machine, but I had a ruined project last night.

My current project has three mpcs and two of them created firewood.
    The machine started off in the wrong place on both of them rather than changing during the carve like above.
    The second attempt at the first ruined piece went fine, it carved in the correct place.
    Both times this happened on this project, it simply starts the Y carving about 5/16" too far toward the top.

Really unhappy about having to take my machine apart far enough to replace parts in the Y motor.
    This happens sporadically for what seems to be no reason - really pulls my chain!
    Last night was a little different in that I got a Y-axis message "clean rails" - sounds like the Y motor gear.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

I would start by checking the y movement of the carriage. Does it move smoothly (by hand with the machine off). Could there be saw dust in the carriage rollers? How is the belt tension?

Yes, I've done the easy things, but I'll redo them when I'm more "loving" toward it.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Sorry Doc, I was replying Mindek. I know you would check these things.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWheeler View Post
    I feel that this is the current "weak spot" with these machines.
    Make one of these Doc:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...718#post220718

Both the X and Y carriages move smoothly and effortlessly by hand. Could be saw dust but I am religious about thoroughly blowing the machine out after every carve. Belt tension is proper.

Yes just had this happen this week, also got a y axis stall and a clean the rails error when trying to recarve and see what was going on. Changed the y bearings and the x while I had it apart. also made sure my belt tension spring was working and that I tightend the belt tension screw down.(I've missed that before). Also we keep the shop at about 55 degrees and turn the heat up in the morning so it may have still been a little cold when I first started the machine up.

The error message likely was a Y Stall at the end of the project when the Y went home and smacked into the keypad side before it expected it.... Because the Y went off....

So we know that during the carving when it went to the wrong location that the encoder was happy so the machine did not fault.

That leaves mechanical from the servo motor shaft to the bit.... Meaning, the Y Gear Box Bearings, Loose Belt or even the servo motor encoder dirty or clear disk spinning free...

Did you hear any clicking when the machine was at the bit plate? 3 clicks = bad Y Gear box bearings....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast