Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WOOPS It Jumped

That deep carve you were doing, was that draft, normal, best, or optimal? Was that the 1/16 deep carving bit?

Now that I look closely at your picture, I think I see what happened. The 1/16 deep carving bit is fexible (too flexible). When cutting to the right, it can "dig in". This happens right away if you carve with the grain. This is why it cannot be used with the rotary jig. I think the bit bent and dug in and that is when the belt slipped. See the notch in the carve where the shift started. You are lucky the bit did not break.

You were using the 1/16 deep bit - right??

The carve was normal. I was using the 1/16" "long" carving bit which is supposed to cut to a 2" depth. The regular 1/16" carving bit I understand can only be used to a depth of 3/4".

Thank you for your time and sharing your knowledge. What bit would you suggest be used to cut a 1" deep circle?

The 1/8" deep bit would not have the same problem. If there is no fine details involved, I always use the 1/8 deep bit. The 1/16 short bit can also be used as long as the depth of cut is not deeper than its length of cut. It is usually around 1". (You would still tell Designer that you were using the deep version but load the short one in the machine.)

When you do use the 1/16 deep bit, use best or optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindek View Post
    What bit would you suggest be used to cut a 1" deep circle?
    You could use the drill feature with a 1/8" or 3/16" cutting bit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

So as an aside and out of curiosity then, what can the 1/16" "long" carving bit be used for?

That is a good question. I think it is ok on best or optimal. I would only use it on optimal. Another good question would be what happens when it gets just a little dull.

So we have spent $70 for a bit that may not be useable? Nice

I regard the 1/8" cutting bit, the 1/16" deep carving bit, and the 1/32" carving bit to be delicate bits. Very useful but require extra precautions. Set small minimum pass depths for the 1/8" cutting bit. Use best for soft wood and optimal for hardwood and do not carve with the grain when using the 1/16" deep bit. Use best or optimal with the 1/32" bit. When these bits get dull, I think they all break.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I regard the 1/8" cutting bit, the 1/16" deep carving bit, and the 1/32" carving bit to be delicate bits. Very useful but require extra precautions. Set small minimum pass depths for the 1/8" cutting bit. Use best for soft wood and optimal for hardwood and do not carve with the grain when using the 1/16" deep bit. Use best or optimal with the 1/32" bit. When these bits get dull, I think they all break.
    I would suggest that the 1/8" cutting bit needs to be assigned multiple passes, only if the wood is of a material that will "close up" behind the bit. Sometimes putting pressure on only the tip of the bit, will snap it. Not following the 7" inch rule will snap it, too.

I have also always followed the rule that hardwoods can be carved in best, while your looser grained woods (softwoods) should be carved in optimal.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12