Thread: Can anyone help me with a Mancala Board?

Default Can anyone help me with a Mancala Board?

I need to make a Mancala Board as a gift, but don't know how to make the bowl shaped depressions i need.

Welcome to the forum. The depressions would be easy to make with the 3d sweep tools. If you do not have the 3d tools, just tell us what you want and someone on the forum will be happy to them make it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cconway View Post
    I need to make a Mancala Board as a gift, but don't know how to make the bowl shaped depressions i need.
    Will this one work for you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Game Board_DISP-cw.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Thank you for your response I really appreciate your help. You talk about the 3d tools, or you referring to the Pattern Modeling Suite or the Patterns Sculptor? I am new to all of this and really appreciate any assistance you can give. Also can you tell me how to import patterns I have downloaded from the forms. Thanks again.

bjbethke: Thanks for sending the pattern. I think this would work although I want to make a top for it as well. I am very new to using the CarveWright, but am amazed at what can be done with it. I would appreciate any suggestion you might have to properly design a top for it. Thanks again!

Thank you for your response I really appreciate your help. You talk about the 3d tools, or you referring to the Pattern Modeling Suite or the Patterns Sculptor? I am new to all of this and really appreciate any assistance you can give. Also can you tell me how to import patterns I have downloaded from the forms. Thanks again.
    Hi, You should be able to carve that from the MPC File. It should carve on a 1X6" board 23 inches long to stay under the rollers. The pattern was made with the Pattern Editor; Version 1.187.

I don't have any of the New CarveWright Stuff. I will be 77 years old this coming May. I don't think I will get my money back before I leave this place. The Old Stuff works great for me. BJB

To make a cover I would make a folding Game board. See photo attached. I made a MPC file for you; but it is too large for this forum. Send me a "PM" with your e-mail address - I can e-mail it to you. BJB

Attached is a MPC File that fits the forum. I grouped the pattern file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maze Game board 23 inches long to stay under the rollers.PNG   SQ18_600.jpg   Game Board_ Dish PTN used - cw.PNG   Game Board_ Dish PTN used- File 9MB too big for forum.PNG  

Game Board M12 cw.PNG  
    Last edited by bjbethke; 02-16-2015 at 11:11 AM.

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

I was talking about the Advanced 3D modeling add on: http://store.carvewright.com/product...cat=252&page=1

Depending on how long you expect to live, it may be worth it! LOL BJB is an expert. Trying to do what he does with the basic software could take awhile as well.

To import stuff from the forum, just double click on it. Choose to open and Designer should open with the project (mpc) or pattern (ptn).

Love your statement of depending on how long you expect to live it may be worth it! I agree with that. lol

I recently created a Mancala board 22" x 5" x .75" with the pockets being .375 deep. I was quite surprised when I uploaded it in Designer 3.102 and saw that it was going to take 1 hour 34 minutes for normal and 2 hours and 16 minutes for best. Are there any ways to further optimize these kind of game boards to reduce the time other than making shallower pockets? I had no choice of the bit being used. Is there a way to use the 1/8" ballnose to reduce the time?

Quote Originally Posted by ridgecrest View Post
    I recently created a Mancala board 22" x 5" x .75" with the pockets being .375 deep. I was quite surprised when I uploaded it in Designer 3.102 and saw that it was going to take 1 hour 34 minutes for normal and 2 hours and 16 minutes for best. Are there any ways to further optimize these kind of game boards to reduce the time other than making shallower pockets? I had no choice of the bit being used. Is there a way to use the 1/8" ballnose to reduce the time?
    Most carving in the Raster format take that long. I made one up with font images that carves with the 1/2 inch Round nose and a 1/2 inch flat base to clean the centers. I haven't carved it but it should carve faster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mancala Game Board Carved with a Font.PNG  
    Last edited by bjbethke; 02-20-2015 at 11:26 PM.

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652