Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rotary lithophanes

Default rotary lithophanes

I have just ordered the rotary jig I have the software but I'm waiting on the jig.. My question is when diong the rotary it does'nt look the same as when you do it flat... it does'nt have a thickness on the rotary it looks darker than when doing it with the rotary is that because it is looking as a dowell ?
    Last edited by aokweld101; 02-12-2015 at 05:18 PM.

When you are setting up the rotary project in tell it the dowel diameter in the board settings. The left screen in more of a reference for laying out your project and the board width is the dowel diameter.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    I have just ordered the rotary jig I have the software but I'm waiting on the jig.. My question is when diong the rotary it does'nt look the same as when you do it flat... it does'nt have a thickness on the rotary it looks darker than when doing it with the rotary is that because it is looking as a dowell ?

You will have to set up a flat board in another project to see the results of a litho.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Results of my hit and miss rotary's... The two of the carves of the same pictures are at different depths .001 difference
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0403 (800x451).jpg   DSCF0404 (800x451).jpg   DSCF0405 (800x451).jpg   DSCF0406 (800x451).jpg  

DSCF0407 (800x451).jpg  
    Last edited by aokweld101; 03-08-2015 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added two pictures

They look really nice. Amazing what you have done with just drain pipes!

Dan, like you said it depends on the vairation on the thickness of the pipe ...it amazed me on the differece of .001 would make and the brightess of the light.

Well, I guess we are going to have to work on the accuracy problem so it is not so hit and miss. You have inspired me. I think I will see how my prototype rotary works on these pipes. Can you show us a picture of how you hold the pipes? I guess if they have nonuniform thickness, then they need to be held accurately from the inside for consistent lithophanes.
    Last edited by bergerud; 03-08-2015 at 10:33 PM.

I have been experimenting with the light for the rotary litho's I was using a battery light puck with 30 watts I did'nt like have to turn the puck on and then put the pipe on top of it so I went and bought a LED, 35 watt bulb and on and off switch its brighter and shows the litho better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0419.JPG   DSCF0420 (800x451).jpg  
    Last edited by aokweld101; 03-18-2015 at 07:43 PM.

That looks great! Very nice and convenient way to light up the litho!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Very very nice.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast