Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: rotary lithophanes

Designer was not programmed with rotary lithos in mind. This was something that users came up with. I think that the left view only works because it is the same window as the normal board view.

The litho view only appears in the left window when doing rotary. That won't give you a correct preview, since the material of the rotary stock is assumed to be solid for the entire diameter. (Actually, half the diameter in the unwrapped view.)

What I do is create a second "flat litho" file and set the material thickness to match the wall thickness of the pvc pipe. That way, you can experiment with your depth settings and get an accurate preview in the "flat mode". Once you're happy, simply set the same depth of carve for your rotary file and carve it!
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 07-01-2016 at 10:37 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Ok Got it Michael Thanks for the info guys First time I have tried to use it not sure if was right or wrong?? thanks again.. Enjoyed talking to you at Houston Michael very much enjoyed you presentation again.
    Mike;

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    The litho view only appears in the left window when doing rotary. That won't give you a correct preview, since the material of the rotary stock is assumed to be solid for the entire diameter. (Actually, half the diameter in the unwrapped view.)

What I do is create a second "flat litho" file and set the material thickness to match the wall thickness of the pvc pipe. That way, you can experiment with your depth settings and get an accurate preview in the "flat mode". Once you're happy, simply set the same depth of carve for your rotary file and carve it!

Thank you, Mike. Have a great weekend!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

5. Default

need a little help I just got the rotary jig. and tried to do your lithopane lamp I followed the instruction to the tee. when calrotary jig all was ok but when I ran project I keep getting a error e03-0400 edge detection fail I reinstall jig still the same thing I even put blue masking tape on pvc pipe still no good so I ran a flat wood carve and machine works fine. no issues with edge detection. so I tried it again and it says the same thing. the next morning wanted to make a litho jig for a flat carving so again follow the section on carvewright lithos and make board 19x11.125 x 750 I am looking for a cut of 12x 10.25 x .25 depth I have the added 7" for machine when I run project I tell it to stay under rollers then run project . now it cuts a 7.75 x 6.25 with a depth of .25 not sure whats going on with this machine now

Quote Originally Posted by masonville04 View Post
    need a little help I just got the rotary jig. and tried to do your lithopane lamp I followed the instruction to the tee. when calrotary jig all was ok but when I ran project I keep getting a error e03-0400 edge detection fail I reinstall jig still the same thing I even put blue masking tape on pvc pipe still no good so I ran a flat wood carve and machine works fine. no issues with edge detection. so I tried it again and it says the same thing. the next morning wanted to make a litho jig for a flat carving so again follow the section on carvewright lithos and make board 19x11.125 x 750 I am looking for a cut of 12x 10.25 x .25 depth I have the added 7" for machine when I run project I tell it to stay under rollers then run project . now it cuts a 7.75 x 6.25 with a depth of .25 not sure whats going on with this machine now

See my reply on your original question on this... https://forum.carvewright.com/showth...656#post274656
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

7. Default

i figured it out made the carve thanks for your help

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123