Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debating on a rotary tool...

Default Debating on a rotary tool...

So my wife has eagerly decided she will be finishing most of my projects for me from now on. She is new to it, but a very patient and detail oriented person, both of which are qualities I lack. So she will probably do a far better job than I could.

I want to get her something beyond the large 4" sanding mop and folded up bits of sandpaper I have been using to sand a completed carve. She loves the idea of a dremel like rotary tool. And I think she would benefit greatly from having one with a flexshaft/hand tool. I am looking on Amazon, since I have a gift card for them, and I found a few items I like. Just wondering what the various opinions are, and what you guys might recommend...

First, I found the most expensive of the choices purely by chance. I don't remember what I was looking for, but it wasn't a rotary tool. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2P5I4NW0QQAX1 is apparently a lot like a 'Foredom' flex shaft grinder. I like the look of it, and the reviews are generally good - but it is pricey enough that I can't get many, if any, of the extras I want (like bristle discs). Pedal operated, up to 22k RPM (no mention of the low end of speed)...

Second, there is a knockoff dremel, probably the cheapest of the options I have seen. http://www.amazon.com/WEN-2307-Varia.../dp/B00A8DXKXS The WEN brand rotary tool comes with ($30) or without ($18 ) a flexshaft. The with option not only costs $11 more, but is not eligible for prime shipping; so it would take a lot longer to get here (and I am impatient) - on the other hand, I really think the flex shaft would be better for her to use. Either way, at less than half the cost of the knockoff foredom, I could afford a large pack of bristle discs, for her to burn through as she learns the ins and outs of using them. Variable dialed in speed from 8k to 30k RPM makes this more attractive to me than the cheaper Dremel brand tools, which all seem to have one or two selectable speeds.

Third is the middle of the line, the black and decker rotary tool; http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-R...ds=rotary+tool - being 3 speed at 12k, 24k, and 30k makes this less attractive than the other two variable speed tools, I think. But it is the same price as the WEN with a flexshaft (but this one has no flexshaft). Again, I could afford more accessories; such as a flexshaft for $20ish, and a smaller pack of the bristle discs.

That's my current selection. I am open to other suggestions if you have any. I have about $92 of amazon credit, and would prefer to not use anything above that.
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

I have the rotary tool, but I have found out using a buffing wheel that carvewright has, works good, use that first to get most of the fuzzy off then use paint sealer and use the buffer again and it saves a lot time.

Do you mean the sanding mop? I have a couple of those, which I got from another vendor at a woodworking show a couple years back. They work okay, but they do not work so well for detailed work... in my experience. I would like something for her with a lot more control than a large 4" sanding mop in a drill press.
    - Ken
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

Those are basically what I want her to be able to use, plus the occasional sanding cone or mini drum. I'm just not sure what the best tool to drive those would be.
    - Ken

That flexshaft grinder on amazon looks pretty cool.....I've always used the sanding mops first, then a plain old dremel with the sanding discs from McMaster-carr. I have a couple different dremels and I have one with the flexshaft attachment (which I use the most). And if you are impatient, Home Depot has quite a variety of them...

I use a dremel with the flexshaft as I feel it gives me better control in tight detailed work. Wouldn't be without it. I use the sanding discs from McMaster-carr. They work very well.

dbemus

I ordered the flexshaft grinder. I won't have enough for any sanding discs through amazon, but I will get them elsewhere (probably McMaster Carr).
    - Ken

Good Choice !!! That's what I would-a bought ...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

10. Default

(may be on wrong forum). postes question a couple days ago ( no response on putting in a a inlay of constrasting wood design.(did not figure it. out )( It.may not be able do that) Thought may be able to fill void with either a fill that would bo safe and ptotective I im making a chop bucher blook for kitchen. Wondering if covering after treating with (glaze: lihe polyethlane 0r bar glaze) after ( mineral oil etc) Thanks Bert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast