Thread: More pinewood derby cars

Default More pinewood derby cars

Just got the STL importer this weekend and started playing with it a little bit. Nothing fancy. Just wanted to take it around the block and see what it could do so decided on some pinewood derby cars. They are regulation size but not the right weight. I used a pine board from Lowe's and it still seems very green. I am sure if I baked them for a few hours I would lose some of the weight before painting. First time carving pine. It sure does make a mess. Think I'll stick with hardwoods. Overall a really fun little weekend project. The mustang I did using only designer and the challenger I did with STL importer. The challenger didn't have enough wheel well to add the wheels so had to glue on some small stock so I could nail on the tires. A design learning point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails derby car 3.jpg   derby car 5.jpg   derby car 6.jpg   derby car 7.jpg  

Those don't look at all like the pinewood derby cars I remember from 40 years ago.

Those are really cool! Better than my old Derby cars, way back when!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Nice work it is almost Pinewood derby time again. Need to get this years car designed and carved.

How are these done? Is this a three side carve?
    Designer 1.187 Build 10870
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    3D Pattern Modeling Suite
    Rotary Jig

Looks like the 70days nice job
    Gary
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

Sorry just saw the entry into the thread. It was done as an stl project. I took one side of the car and mirrored it for the carving. I then used the cutouts to fill in the center. 4 slices in total for the car. After that it was just gluing the slices together, sanding and paint.

It was actually a pain. The cutouts did not work very well and I ended up using the band saw to cut out the center portions. It took a lot of sanding and rasp work to even it all out.

In the end the charger looked great but it was nowhere near regulation weight.

Same process for the mustang.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW charger derby car fill.jpg   CW charger derby car.jpg