Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shrimp Boat

So your saying this was built in blender 3d and imported into CW ... very interesting

It was. Render the model in gray scale, save as image, clean up a bit with graphics software (blur) and then import into CW. I have gotten really mixed results mostly because I am new to both blender 3d and CW. I have the bas relief add on for blender 3d but I sometimes use it sometimes not. Mostly because I don't have a clue what I am doing. What is nice about having the 3d models is you are not limited to one view as the examples below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB111v2.png   FB111v3.jpg   codfish.jpg   codfishv2.jpg  

shrimp boat2.png  

Do you export them from Blender as STL? I have been trying Blender for years, but never been good at it. Totally alien environment.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Oscarl48

Attached is a Blender bas relief node file. It's all set up so all you have to do is swap out the model I have in there and replace with yours. The other thing in the node section you will need to specify where to tell to save the images from the render on your computer. I am assuming if your modeling things you know how to swap out models etc, translate rotate etc.

Only other thing make sure you check Index Pass for each piece of your model. I usually combine all pieces into 1 so only have to check once. Other than that hit Render in the node and bang..pretty good depth map. It will need sculpting for the stepping.

The render button is on the first node..the little camera icon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

The Blender version is important I think.

Thanks for all the advice. I will try that bas relief setup. I have been using one that is slightly different. Hopefully that makes the difference.

Up to this point I had only been using designer 2.0 and importing the images directly into the CW software. Though a little flat I have had some success. This weekend the wife allowed me to get the STL importer. I have only started playing with it for a few hours but so far I like it (it is really cool addition to the basic software). I think I'll have both tools available for the future depending on what I am trying to do and which one comes out better. My models are still flat with the STL importer but I know its because of my poor modeling skills. I downloaded an image created by Tomasz Jurczyk from blendswap website and it looks amazing (at least on the computer). I'll give it a try with the bas relief tomorrow. Rendering takes a while and my whimpy machine has fits if I try to do something else at the same time.

And blender version (I use 2.62 with the bas relief filter) is very important unless you know how to create builds in python. I do not. The last programming language I used was FORTRAN many, many years ago.

Again thanks for all the great info. I'll try to load what I get with blender for comparison later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unicorn.jpg  

Hey Oscarl48,

yep your good on the version. The node I sent you was for 2.62 so all good. All you have to do is move the "madona" file I attached over your blender icon or just open in Blender and you will be all set. Just delete the madona model and replace with your own and adjust to fit in the camera view that is already set up. Then it hit render in the node...just remember to check pass index 1 to EVRY piece of the model or combine the all pieces as 1 model ( easier way ).

Yeah the rendering on a lightweight machine can get tough. I have a 17 six core which has 12 for rendering and 16gb ram..and some things still take a min in Blender for rendering.

Awesome on the .stl importer. between that blender and check out sculptris for sculpting (free)...nothing you cant make
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

jpaluck,

Okay, green with envy. I used to be a computer build junky upgrading my computer every year with new hardware with not quite the newest chip but a generation behind. I don't do it anymore since the most I do at work is reports and papers. My Dell just isn't a graphics powerhouse. Its frustrating but not enough for me drop the cash needed to build one.

Thanks for the assist. I am excited to start building better patterns/models.

Oscar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12