Thread: Not reading board width correctly

Default Not reading board width correctly

The project called for a width of 14.5" and a length of 21". The machine would read the width as 14.021/21 not 14.5/21 and would ask if I should scale to length.

After repeated attempts to fix (tape on edges, cleaning, etc) I redesigned the project width to 14". It now read the width as 14.012/21 and asked the same question---scale to length---even though the board width was wider than the design width. Shouldn't it have asked if I wanted to scale to width?

Where am I going wrong? HELP

If your project is the full 21" in length, and you use a 21" board; there is nothing left to keep the piece under the rollers. That is why it is asking if it should scale to length. Make your board 28" long and leave your project set at 21". Anytime you want to keep it under the rollers you need to add 7" to the board - not the project.
    BoardSilly
    "Destroying Cuba 1 Cigar At A Time"

Thank you! When I designed it I added the 7" to the project but kept telling it to 'stay under rollers', hence my problem.
    Is it ok to run the project the way it is and not tell it to stay under rollers?

Guess I should have continued to do the projects without adding the extra length to it, but just increase the board size.

Thanks again

With a 21" board, if you do not stay under the rollers you may find the board will tip and hose your carving. Just use another board that has the extra 7" added onto it if you can.
    BoardSilly
    "Destroying Cuba 1 Cigar At A Time"

Will do. Thanks

And be sure that after using a 7" board over the size of your design, that you call, when asked, for it to start in the middle, otherwise you'll still run into the roller problem, as you won't have the extra 3 1/2" except on one side.

Bob

The project called for a width of 14.5" and a length of 21". The machine would read the width as 14.021/21 not 14.5/21
    Have you cut your wood to the right size? "scale to length"
    tells me I have cut my wood small or big and need to re enter the true size into designer. Or the board sensor needs
    cleaning.
    Lig
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 03-07-2007 at 01:52 AM.

Also remember that the project that the machine is looking for is the size of the wood you have used in Designer, not just the size of the design you put onto the project wood. Could this be the problem and the need to scale message is given you?

Bob

I don’t know if this will help or even fits in here, but 90% of my carvings are under 12”x 28”.So if the project is 4”x 4” to 12’’x28” I carve almost all my projects on a Sled using double sided or wood turners two way tape 1”x 25 yards for $4.49. I give the program the size of the Sled 14”x 36” as my project and add the thickness of the bottom of the Sled (3/4 +3/4 =11/2) tell the machine to center and stay under the rollers. As long as I center the project on the Sled, the measurement as far as the machine is concerned is always the same. That way I always have the needed inches at the ends of the board. I’ve built 3 different Sleds, so I can be carving 1 project while setting up another. If you use the search in this forum you’ll find several posts on using or making a Sled to fit your own needs. At least it works for me.

Ken
    Last edited by Kenm810; 03-10-2007 at 01:04 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails