Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Santa left me a Carvewright.

Red face Hi Santa left me a Carvewright.

Hi,

I am new to the world of CnC carving but am an avid scroll saw person. Being a retired Control Engineer the CnC thing sounded like fun.

I am local to Carvewright so I figured I could go there for help if needed.

I did and they are great people. I am having more fun and doing things I could not with the saw, but see a lot of ways to combine the two.

My surprise so far is that I do not know how to do staining and painting. Have tried but not close to what is being done here.

So many opinions, do not know where to start.
    Don

Don,

Welcome to the CarveWright world and the forum. There are many quite qualified members on the forum that are willing to help with questions, you just have to ask.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Quote Originally Posted by DonCP View Post
    Hi,

I am new to the world of CnC carving but am an avid scroll saw person. Being a retired Control Engineer the CnC thing sounded like fun.

I am local to Carvewright so I figured I could go there for help if needed.

I did and they are great people. I am having more fun and doing things I could not with the saw, but see a lot of ways to combine the two.

My surprise so far is that I do not know how to do staining and painting. Have tried but not close to what is being done here.

So many opinions, do not know where to start.

Welcome Don,

Don't worry about the paint stuff. You will have lots of firewood to practice on until you catch on to the carving part.
    Most of my stuff I wipe the stain and let it dry, then just lightly sand the surface areas to lighten it a bit, then clear coat.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Welcome to the world of Cavewright Don. The forum is will become your best friend I'm sure since people here are so helpful and encouraging.

A good way to start Don woud be to buy a project. I sell projects for Carvewright which includes all the patterns, instructions with photos and finishing process.
    They are available at http://www.rasterclip3d.com/index.ph...suzanne-corner
    and will soon be available at the Carvewright store http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=57

You can also get a VIP membership which gives you access to all my projects (300$ worth) for 99$ at www.suzannewoodworking.ca

Have fun with your new toy!
    Suzanne

Welcome to the forum. As far as finish it's what works for you. It can be very integrate, or something as easy as Danish Oil dipped in a can of paste wax and spread on with #0000 steel wool. Good luck and lets see some photo's of finished work.

Glad Santa was good to you, Don. Finishing really isn't too difficult. Painting on the other hand ... . I would suggest using a good oil based stain such as minwax. Wipe it on, let it dry about 15 minutes and then wipe it off. Once it is totally dry, try a good wipe-on poly. It gives a very nice finish and is super easy to apply. A little 0000 steel wool between coats helps give it a smooth finish. There are many other ways to finish, but I think this is a good place to start...
    All the best.
    John
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Best tip I received is to first stain your piece. Once you like the finish (for me usually 2 coats), use a spray lacquer to seal the wood (I use 3 coats). The reason for sealing is when you paint, if you spill/drip, the paint does not soak into the wood and you can wipe up with a damp cloth. When finished painting I put on 2 more coats of lacquer. I finished the signs here with this method. Prior to using this method, I created the Marriage Sign and the Marine sign without sealing. I spend many hours finely sanding/scraping unwanted paint, then re-staining. Not fun. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marine Small.jpg   Marriage Small Size .jpg   DFW Police 1.jpg   505th.jpg  

Hi Don, you are in for a great time., so many talented people here and very willing to help. Read as much as possible of the tips and tricks as well as *Ask Bud*, good luck

Welcome Don, since you are local, don't miss out of some of the greatest advice... every year CW hosts a conference in the Houston area and it is the greatest place to meet, greet and information sharing experience. It's usually around June or July so watch your calendar. In the mean time as everyone else has stated don't hesitate to ask upon anyone here in the forum.
    John

Welcome Don!

Even though you are local to CarveWright (lucky you) make sure to study up on all of the tips and tricks news letters and all of the software/hardware tutorials. Lots of great info to help you out.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast