Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd party software

Default 3rd party software

I have been looking at the 3-d software everything from Blender, aspire, paint, Gimp and others, and you think there is a learning curve to the carvewright try some of the other programs that is out there, it's over whelming you might have to go to college for 6 yrs. to get a master degree or spend the next 10 yrs. learning on your own what program would be the easiest for a novice to start on ?

The best for me is Moi3D.com. Good price and the learning curve ain't that bad. You should give it a try!
    Suzanne

And may I add that YES, patience and time are of the essence. No matter which software you use, you have to give it time to learn and repeat (like I did) all the tutorials until you feel comfortable and try something on your own with each technique you learn.

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    The best for me is Moi3D.com. Good price and the learning curve ain't that bad. You should give it a try!
    Suzanne

Start off with MoI3d, it is more of a graphics drawing program, yet it can do organic modeling once you are good enough with it. Then download blender, and watch the videos, Blender is free. Also download sculptris, again it is free. Once you get the hang of these three, then if you are still interested get aspire. There is a large learning curve in any of these items, with MoI3d being the easiest to learn. Aspire seemed easy too when I run the demo, but I had already been into modeling and sculpting so I believe that made it easier to pick up. Good luck and the only advise I will give, is stick with it for the learning curve will stop most from going very far into modeling. Course many think all you have to do is place an image in the software and BAM, you have a pattern.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

I have the moi3d trial downloaded and it does seem the easiest, I'll try it for the 30 day period. maybe I'll learn something thanks guys & gals for the comments.

AOK, try these tutorials at http://www.cncmodelclub.com/tutorials-cnc-patterns/ and look for more on youtube.com
    The website has about 4 nice videos on MoI3d all done by jpaluck. Fact is if you contact him you will get 10% off the software if you decide to buy it.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Last edited by eelamb; 12-29-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Eddie

I have all the sites that you suggested on my favorites list I'm going to try to get started learn this... Thanks Ed... I had asked Dan if there was a next step above senior member you... know... like... master senior member.... lol

AOK, just look at Al's post count, I believe he has the most post, but to answer your question, Not that I know of.

Eddie

Aokweld,

LOL..yeah none of them are exactly easy when you are starting. My question for you would be what are looking to create? If you want to just do cnc carvewright stuff why not just master what CW has? I have Aspire and use it for my other machine and for a lot of things it it's awesome and very fast - ex - Vcarves and pocketing. But like you said there is a learning curve. It is not like you going to buy the software and start cranking out killer models/designs.

Artcam ,Aspire and CW are fairly close to each other in the way they model. Draw a shape and extrude it from either an extrude or a sweep basically. This initially seems easier for a beginner to wrap their head around. Draw the shape type thing. Then it can be tweaked via sculpting. I personally do not like modeling this way. I like quads over this method because with quads it can be done a lot faster and it WAY easier to correct and tweak on the fly with zero sculpting at the end. That being said I will say quads are as hard to learn as CW. The issue I had and think most have when you initially start with them is they look bizzare. The user interface is very intimidating etc. They are NOTHING like a graphics program like AI or Corel. Very little will correlate to quads.

When you open say Blender you need to remember there are 3 main parts of the program - Modeling, rendering and animation. If you only looking to model you will just ignore the rest, however it becomes hard if you never opened it. It will look like the cockpit of a jet plane with controls and buttons you never heard of prior. My suggestion would be to learn the UI (user interface) first. Don't worry about making a model learn where things are and learn the concepts of quads and 3d. Then begin to make simple full 3d models for practice. I find modeling most things in full 3d are way easier than to model things for carving..2.5d - because you have less space to work in. Things like faces,portraits, human figures are some of the hardest to produce. beside getting good with the program your modeling in you need to be very artistic also. Some of the guys I am friends with in Zbrush are well versed in human anatomy. When I ask them for help with a head or something they tell me go study anatomy.

Moi is an awesome program and is Nurbs based like Rhino. Nurbs are great for mechanical type things and organic stuff like say cars. But for say a human portrait or leaf scrolls or such - that is not a good choice. Quads are the best choice for those types of things. If you like Moi let me know if you want to buy it and I can get you 10% off.

If I had it to learn all over again I would have listened to HT (carvenow). he told me learn quads and you will need nothing else. If I could only have 2 programs for modeling it would be a quad based modelor and Zbrush. Other key if you pick a quad modelor - STICK to that one. The UI's of the different programs are not the same and get the same results by going about things differently - meaning there is no true uniformity in the UI's. Blender is an awesome program to start with and stay with. It can do anything model wise all the big guns can IE 3ds max , Maya , Modo etc.

I learned a TON on Digital Tutors - http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/index.php lol..the digital college thing you mentioned for me. They have some good blender stuff to learn the UI. After you know the UI you can watch modeling videos from other softwares, even though the UI is not the same, the modeling concepts will be. Modeling is a lot fun and a great hobby but it will take a lot of practice.

Good Luck with it and if you get rolling with it, show your models.
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast