Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cut Motor won't spin

Default Cut Motor won't spin

I've read numerous articles about the cut motor but haven't seen one that specifically addresses my particular issue. In November, the last time I used my CW, I was trying to cut a lithograph on my rotary jig (PVC pipe). It worked fine, but was a little too deep, so I modified the pattern and started over. From that time on the cut motor won't spin...not when I change the bits, not when the display says it is carving the pattern. I ran the tests on the machine and it thinks the cut motor is running, but it isn't.
    I'm not afraid to tear the machine apart to replace faulty parts, but at less than 250 hrs. that doesn't seem like the thing to do yet. To answer a few questions in advance, Yes, I've taken the top cover off. Yes, I've checked the clear cover switches on both sides. Yes, I've checked the wire connections. All seem to be in order.
    Any ideas what might be going on?

Did you check the brushes in the motor? Also check the X termination board on the bottom of the machine. It is the board the cut motor wiring is attached to. Inspect for signs of burnt components or broken wire leads.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I haven't checked the x term board, but will do that. Can you check brushes without disassembling the motor???

(Two days later)...I checked the x termination board...no visible problems, put the bottom back on and ran the x, y, and z tests. All were fine, ran the cut motor test and the darn thing worked. I didn't change anything, didn't disconnect or reconnect anything, didn't try to fix anything, and it now works. I don't get it, but won't complain. It's back to carving for me. thanks for all the help!

Yes you can. you need a flat blade screwdriver or a dime to pull the brush covers on the side of the motor.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

You should start with the easiest and most obvious first. I would start by checking the cover switch on the side opposite of the keypad (right side). The right side cover switch is on the return path of the cut motor and acts as a safety switch. The left side tells the computer if the cover is open. Sometimes the switches go bad but, most of the time it's just a loose screw or loose wiring. Also, the cover screws could be loose and not allowing the plastic tab to completely depress the switch. Search this forum for "Cover Switch" for more info.

Here is a link to the video on how to check and/or replace the cut-motor brushes.

http://www.carvewright.com/support-p...eplace_brushes
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 12-26-2014 at 11:21 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rflournoy View Post
    I haven't checked the x term board, but will do that. Can you check brushes without disassembling the motor???
    There are two plastic screw caps (one on top, one on bottom) on the wiring end of the motor. Try to use a thick tipped screw driver and press the screw driver firmly into the slot. Some are very tight so you might end up stripping the slot out. If so you can cut/grind a deeper slot to get a better bite.

You can inspect the top brush with the motor installed in the machine. Best to take the top cover of to so.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    There are two plastic screw caps (one on top, one on bottom) on the wiring end of the motor. Try to use a thick tipped screw driver and press the screw driver firmly into the slot. Some are very tight so you might end up stripping the slot out. If so you can cut/grind a deeper slot to get a better bite.

You can inspect the top brush with the motor installed in the machine. Best to take the top cover of to so.
    You can use a silver dollar work great
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

I had the same problem. I took off the bottom cover and took the wires off the green X termination board and put them back on. I made sure they were on tight put the cover back on and its been good ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
    You can use a silver dollar work great
    Henry,

Now that is an expensive screw driver. I've got mine locked up in the safe.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Henry,

Now that is an expensive screw driver. I've got mine locked up in the safe.
    LMAO that is a good one
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast