Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Rotary Litho

Really nice job Steve. This may have been covered before but do you mind saying what settings you used for the carving?

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemi View Post
    Really nice job Steve. This may have been covered before but do you mind saying what settings you used for the carving?

Mike

I used a depth of .1 for the carve region and the Best setting for the carve. The actual measurement of the depth was around .125 when I measured the finished carve. I want to keep track of my results and track depth and adjust for future carves. I will try going deeper and see what happens.
    I hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks Steve. That gives me a starting point.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Hi Steve, my name is Diane and I have been trying to do some pictures on the rotary jig. How did you prepare your pictures in order for the outcome to look exactly like an actual picture? Yours are terrific. I'd really appreciate some tips. It has to be in the way you edited the photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Im not steve, but I can tell you what I do.
    Firstly it depends on the photo. Some I import and carve with no editing.
    once they are in designer and a pattern is made i put them on a .25 thick flat board with the lithopane preview and set the depth to .180 (some pvc is thinner in spots so you may get some thin spots) and look at them.
    If they need cleaning up I double click them in the pattern list and edit them in PE, save and try again.
    Once I am happy with the preview I load a new rotary project and put the pattern on it.
    It won't show up like it will really look on the pvc, that is why you need to look at it on a flat .25 board first.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Thanks for the reply! I'm assuming you loaded a b&w or grayscale photo to begin with? I set my depth to .180, but the carve went right thru the pvc in spots due to the depth variation throughout the photo. We found the pvc wall thickness to vary quite a bit-so we decreased the carve depth-but still had problems. I think a lot of people interested in purchasing the rotary carve for the purpose of carving family photos would greatly appreciate a step by step tutorial how to to exactly achieve the results of the carve at the end of this post. Lots of grandchildren out there!

Are you using schedule 40 pvc?
    Michael Tyler has posted on this technique. Do a search for "rotary lithopanes"
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...icks_Jan09.pdf

here is the link. It is written for flat litho's, but works on rotary also.
    Brent

OS X Yosemite

I really like the work. Great job. I have yet to try any litho

Great carving on the litho.. can't wait to give it a try.. looks promising,.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast