Thread: Converting a .tap file

Default Converting a .tap file

Woodworkers Journal sent out a nice free project yesterday. It is a football shaped serving tray. It is a nice design. I suppose I could re-create it in Designer, but wondered if there was a way to convert the .tap files they included to something that could be carved on my CarveWright. I have stl importer and sculptor as well as 3. Designer, but I can't seem to find a program that converts .tap files to stl files. Has anyone figured this out? WJ regularly sends out free files but they are always .tap files. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

CNCFootballTrayFiles.zip
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtyme View Post
    Woodworkers Journal sent out a nice free project yesterday. It is a football shaped serving tray. It is a nice design. I suppose I could re-create it in Designer, but wondered if there was a way to convert the .tap files they included to something that could be carved on my CarveWright. I have stl importer and sculptor as well as 3. Designer, but I can't seem to find a program that converts .tap files to stl files. Has anyone figured this out? WJ regularly sends out free files but they are always .tap files. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

CNCFootballTrayFiles.zip
    Hi, This is a Aspire program. I use the Aspire 4.0 - this was made by a newer update.

This was also in Woodworker's Journal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Football pattern tray-PING format.PNG   CNCFootballPattern.pdf   Capture.PNG  
    Last edited by bjbethke; 12-27-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

For what its worth, i opened those .tap files in notepad. They look like standard g-code to me, so I would think you can find a utility that will convert it to an STL or some other format that can be used by the carvewright. I don't do much on the carvewright anymore, but if I get some time, I'll see what types of converters I can dig up.
    Doug Fletcher

Thx guys... I tried to find a convert program but wasn't successful. They pass on some great free projects but always in tap format ....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Thx guys... I tried to find a convert program but wasn't successful. They pass on some great free projects but always in tap format ....
    Hi - I used the pattern from Woodworker's Journal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB TRAY Base.PNG   FB TRAY Top.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

6. Default

The tap files are g-code and can be opened in Mach4 trial, but it's just pockets and doesn't look like the images that bjbethke shows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PocketsScrnSht.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	959.8 KB 
ID:	73624

CNCFootballTrayFiles.zip
    Hi, I have a MicroCarve program that I can save the Grayscale image in a STL format. I'm not sure if you can make this image work for you. I don't have any of the New CW Programs. I use a lot of off market Programs. The STL file is 23.5 MB and will not load on this forum, but it does load in the CW trial STL importer. See posted images. I can try to send it to you e-mail ("PM" me your e-mail) BJB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW STL Program image.PNG   Football tray 34_DISP+STL image.PNG   MicroCarve GS Start.PNG   MicroCarve GS Gen tooth path.PNG  

MicroCarve GS  STL File saved.PNG   Saved files. BJB.PNG  

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

I think he is looking for something like this. I created this one from scratch, no conversion. Full raster, it would be better using pocket cuts (cut paths multiple passes ) as the tap file did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails football-rn.jpg   football-rn1.jpg  
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie