Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoo carvings in Hard Maple & Black Walnut

Default Phoo carvings in Hard Maple & Black Walnut

I made this for my In-Laws for Christmas. It is from photos of Mom,Pop and all the Grand kids. I glued some 3/8 maple to 7/8 walnut and planed the maple to .20 and the walnut to .75
    I made carving patterns from the pics. using Paint.net and PhotoScape and carved them at .25. Setting the carving depth at .25 will remove all the glue and just barely touch the walnut.
    The carving is 10 x 32 and took about 4.5 hours carving on best I also left the piece extra long to stay under the rollers and pre sanded as always.
    This is a time consuming project but I enjoyed.
    I hope some of you guys like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MOM & POP CHRISTMAS 2014 001.JPG  

That turned out really nice!!!
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Good idea, turned out really nice. Just to clarify, what were the settings for the height and depth? Thanks

Great Job, came out beautiful!

That came out great, very unique!

Great work. Nice idea!

Very clever idea. Came out really nice. I am sure your relatives will cherish this.

dbemus

The total thickness if the material is 1 inch. The Maple is .23 and the Walnut is .75. I allow about.02 for glue thickness between the maple and walnut. I set the carving depth at .25. The light spots you see on the carving is some left over glue that I hand sanded off. This is not a quick process the way I do it but, I do it because it is different and I enjoy it. I have made several carvings and signs this way. It also helps when your Father In-law owns a sawmill.

I'm not sure what all the stuff is you mention. I just design something I like and see if the machine will carve it. I do the photos in paint.net & photosacpe and import them. I don't have centerline or scaning probe. I think I have a B machine the basic model with nothing extra. I wouldn't know how to use it if I had it. I don't even know what a conforming vector is. I guess I should probably learn some of these things.
    THANKS FOR THE GOOD WORDS
    davidbf

Thanks to everyone for the good words about my carving.
    HAPPY HOILDAYS TO ALL. I'm sorry if I didn't answer all your questions but some of the stuff I just don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast