Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scale to length

Default scale to length

Hi Folks: Have a small problem with "scale to length "" message I did a search but found nothing to help Im sure you old salts have heard it a million times. I cut two boards exactly the same, 8.5X15, taped long edge first one cut fine no problem the second one gave me no other option but to scale to length, thinking it would only be about 1/64" I said OK but it shrunk it to less than half size, I thought what the heck is going on here. Is there a work around?

The machine measured the second board shorter than what you wanted. When ever you get the "scale to length or width" message is will reduce the size to what it thinks the board size is. When you got the message there were 2 sets of numbers displayed. One was your design size and the other the measured board size.

A work around would be to modify your design board size to just under the board dimensions. Another would be to add 4" blanks to each end of the board.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

But both my boards were exactly the same size, whenever I cut more than one board the same size I stack them up and run my fingers around the edges to make sure, besides that I have a beismeyer fence that is really accurate. I have been cutting panels a long time. I could understand if the machine said my board was a few thousands of an inch less. but come on to punish us with shrinking it to less than half is a serious flaw in the machine. So my question is if it happens again what is the best option? go cut another perfect board?

It's not a matter of the boards not being the same size. It is a matter of the tracking roller measuring them both the same. One lost traction or slipped and measured smaller than it was. Use masking tape on the bottom to help with traction. It could be too slick, have a divit, warped or bowed.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I had masking tape, checked the board no divots dings or dents under the tape or on ANY edge?

forgot to add I also had the extra 3.5 " on each end and an extra !" on width

My guess would be that your Designer board is also 8.5X15 and the machine measured the second board just a little less. (Board sensor measurements always vary a little.) Then it asked to scale, you answered yes and also answered yes to stay under rollers. The machine then shrunk your pattern (board from 15 -> 15 - 7 =8.

One has to always make the Designer board at least a little smaller than the real board so the scale routine is not called.

Remember: the pattern size as far as the program is concerned is the size of the board in Designer.

Quote Originally Posted by freddy12 View Post
    Hi Folks: Have a small problem with "scale to length "" message I did a search but found nothing to help Im sure you old salts have heard it a million times. I cut two boards exactly the same, 8.5X15, taped long edge first one cut fine no problem the second one gave me no other option but to scale to length, thinking it would only be about 1/64" I said OK but it shrunk it to less than half size, I thought what the heck is going on here. Is there a work around?
    Perhaps the following article will help:

Scaling and How to Avoid It! – ISSUE 18 March 2009
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

My guess is you said yes to staying under the rollers. When doing so the machine will add 7" to your design board and when measuring the board if it sees it as anything shorter than the board size plus 7" you will get the scale message.

Since you did add the end blocks to your board you can avoid this issue by saying no to staying under the rollers. When the machine sees that you have more board than your design size you will get a prompt on how you want to place the carving on the board. Most will use the center on board option.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

This is where a paper tape printer would be great... Like a cash register tape... that plugged into the DB-25 jack just as the Talking Module did... And a hard copy record was made of the LCD messages and data. Knowing what the data was and selections made would be a great troubleshooting tool.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast