Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scale to length

Well at least you guys didnt ignore me, and thank you all very much for your help Michael Tyler your article was an eye opener. I have always added the 7'' but now I will add7.25. The weird thing is once I got a prompt for the width, but had the option to ignore. I fond a quick fix anyway, by just pin nailing a 1/4 pc. of the same mtl. to the end and running it again!!

Quote Originally Posted by freddy12 View Post
    Well at least you guys didnt ignore me, and thank you all very much for your help Michael Tyler your article was an eye opener. I have always added the 7'' but now I will add7.25. The weird thing is once I got a prompt for the width, but had the option to ignore. I fond a quick fix anyway, by just pin nailing a 1/4 pc. of the same mtl. to the end and running it again!!
    That works also..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

freddy - you may want to calibrate the width and length measurements of your machine.......given that your cuts are perfect, you should ensure that the machine is measuring the same. Calibrating these two is relatively simple - there's a tutorial on CW's website.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Sounds like you could-a had a slip or skip ... This has happened to me with identical sized boards .. The first thing I do , and it usually works , is to turn off the machine for 30-40 seconds,, Lift the head N reset the board and start the project again .. Also, I have used scale and never had a major difference in size of project like you said, difference in size is not even noticeable ......

Kevin
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Never, ever allow the machine to scale projects. It is far too risky and can spoil a project. Kevin, you may not have noticed a difference because the board size was very close (but not quite) the size it needed to be.

Again, DO NOT allow scaling of any project. It will assuredly "bite" you sooner or later. I take an average of two to three calls per month from users who are puzzled why "my project came out too small". No mystery there...it's because they allowed scaling (i.e., their board was the incorrect size is by far the most common reason).

Please, if you have not read the following article, do so. It will save a lot of projects and a lot of unnecessary headaches!

Scaling and How to Avoid It! – ISSUE 18 March 2009
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thank You ... However, I only allow scale when it is very close .. Say board is 25.5 and machine comes up with 25.492 ... I really don't understand how the machine continues to be off by even a couple 100ths on indentically sized boards or even when you measure the same board a couple times just for the hell of it to see how the machine does .. My tape measure gets it the same every time and was a lot cheaper then this PRECISION machine !!! Ha

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Never, ever allow the machine to scale projects. It is far too risky and can spoil a project. Kevin, you may not have noticed a difference because the board size was very close (but not quite) the size it needed to be.

Again, DO NOT allow scaling of any project. It will assuredly "bite" you sooner or later. I take an average of two to three calls per month from users who are puzzled why "my project came out too small". No mystery there...it's because they allowed scaling (i.e., their board was the incorrect size is by far the most common reason).

Please, if you have not read the following article, do so. It will save a lot of projects and a lot of unnecessary headaches!

Scaling and How to Avoid It! – ISSUE 18 March 2009
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Quote Originally Posted by ktjwilliams View Post
    Thank You ... However, I only allow scale when it is very close .. Say board is 25.5 and machine comes up with 25.492 ... I really don't understand how the machine continues to be off by even a couple 100ths on indentically sized boards or even when you measure the same board a couple times just for the hell of it to see how the machine does .. My tape measure gets it the same every time and was a lot cheaper then this PRECISION machine !!! Ha
    It is all in the brass roller!!!! Besides your tape measure is only as good as YOUR eyes!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

There's a db25 port? I may be able to work with it if data comes off it.

You will not be able to get any information off of that port. It is something we used in the first year (2006) here at the shop, but not capable of producing any information. It wasn't worth the cost to redesign and take if off the newer machines, but will not give you any feedback.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12