Thread: Cut Motor Problem

Default Cut Motor Problem

Started project today. Asked me to upgrade to 1.187.10870, did that. Last project was 8 months ago and machine worked fine. It started fine then got three Z Axis errors, first on at 2%, 2nd on board measuring and third at 5%. Restarted each time ran fine till hit next problem. Cleaned/Oiled Z axis, no more of those errors. Motor stopped at around 5%, stopped checked, engaged so started, ran, stopped. Same thing several times.

A model, fully upgraded last Feb. or March by me. Carved best it has till stopped using 6/8 months ago. Also had motor rebuilt then. Has about 17 hours on it since. Yes switch is closed and working, also when checking on the keyboard it sz it is working. If I push the switch in and out, every third time the spindle will kick 1/2 turn or so.

Any thoughts? Could it be the upgrade up above I mentioned? Did all diagnostic in the trouble shooting guide. Still not working.
    Thanks,

Dave

Possible problem, the flexshaft core (new when upgraded) slips to far up into motor as the z truck bounces then the spindle stops. If Pull it back out a bit, works fine, then bounces back up and stops. This happened on my original motor and flexshaft core, so, I got tired of it and JB Welded it into motor(worked for 125 hours), this was fixed when sent motor in for rebuild. Now happening again. What is the solution? Has anyone else had this problem? Could I put some kind of space up the motor shaft?
    Dave

My cut motor was on and off and about to die at some point. My problem was the cover. Just had to push it in a bit and it's been working fine since. Something to check maybe!

Thanks for your response zan29. I drove to sporting goods store, bought a small container of BB's (1,500 for $6.99) took the drive shaft housing off the motor, greased up the BB, put it the shaft receptical. Put the shaft back on started a new carving and now has been running a 4 hour project for 45 min. with no problems. I guess my machine just had the shaft housing made 1/8 inch too long. So I now have 1,499 BB's I have no use for but, will sell to any of you for .006 cents each if you pay the shipping. Oh heck the BB and handling is free, you pay shipping, but only by if you are one of the lucky ones like me that has a shaft that is too long.

If the core was short enough to slip, it must be more like 1/2" too short. I mean, the sheath must be 1/2" too long. We have seen these sheaths come apart at the motor end and require re-gluing. Are you sure it has not come apart? One BB may only be giving you 1/8" of contact at the spindle end. More problems may be coming. Stay away from the 1/2" rounding bit!!

Thanks for the response. The sheath is in great shape. Since this is one of the first machines I think it was made too long.
    This core only has about 11 hours on it. I might just order a new sheath and see if there is a differance.