Thread: E-bay CompuCarve!!!

Default E-bay CompuCarve!!!

I was just thinking before I wrote this “You should have closed the barn door BEFORE the horse got out”. So here goes anyway. I have had real good luck with Craftsman’s brand tools both hand and power tools. Then a friend of mine called me and told me about the CC and that I needed to see the video at the Sears store, So I made a trip to good Sears and saw the CompuCarve video at a Sears store(St. Louis, Missouri) and was going to buy one then and there. (26 February 2007) I was told that the units are back ordered and it would be around the first of May before they are expected to be at the warehouse. Also at the rate they are selling most of that shipment will be used to fill back orders and replace defected units . The “defected” part should have been my warning! So I came home and did a search on E-Bay and found several units. One was listed “This item is used and does work well, the only thing wrong with it is the plastic top cover is broken and needs to be replaced.” I was telling myself. “ You just retired after working for over 40 years as a machinist and precision machine rebuilder and some of that time on CNC machines. “You can replace the top cover.” So I bid on it and won it. Then I found this forum!!!! Now, I think I just bought a horse, but didn’t know that the horse was really a mule and was also dead! Now, I know how the broken top cover got broke, it was the last owners attempt to get even with it, with a hammer! Could anybody give me a hint to were to start with this think, short of sending it straight on to CW. Anything done to this thing is going to be out of my pocket! Also from the posts I get the feeling that CW won’t give me much support on fixing this think myself until I feed their pockets to upgrade the softwear. So, now I guess I’ll Have to go out and buy a boat. I already have the anchor and a very nice $1300.00 anchor at that.

DDV

You need to sit down and take some time to really read these forums. You will find that CarveWright supports their users/customers very well. They will work with you on repairs, whether you do them yourself ( when this can be done ) or have to send it in to them. CarveWright is also one of the few vendors that I know of that will support theor machine even when you are not the original purchaser. You do not need to buy any 'upgraded' software to use the machine. Their software is downloadable right from their website. Do yourself a really big favor and read ALL the messages, not bits and pieces.
    BoardSilly
    "Destroying Cuba 1 Cigar At A Time"

BoardSilly speaks the truth!! I bought mine from Sears as a return for less than you paid and Carvewright treats me like one of the family. Trust me, you'll not know the difference in thier treatment from if you'd have bought it new. I hope you left that dude a proper feedback, if he shafted you.

Bard, I think this makes us relatives???????? Just remember....respect your elders!!

Ernie

I spent several hours reading many threads from post to ends and guarantee that ther is more negative posts then there is positive on this forum about the CC and CW. Trouble-free, love it, what a great machine, quality are the type of words you don't read. I'm a newbee at this forum and that is my first impression. If I am wrong, I am wrong and I will be the first to admit to it.
    Thank You
    DDV

DDV, no one will be able to counter your first impression. Just stop and consider who posts to the forums and why. By and large most folks don't bother to proclaim that "Gosh my machine works great, ..." Rather, when you have a problem, you jump on the forum and ask others about it to get some advise. Or, some personalities just use the forum as a place to vent (for what ever reason).

You have to put thigs in perspective, there have been thousands (I think over 4,000) machines sold since November last year. You read of perhaps 20-30 serious problems on the forums here. Believe it or not, most problems are operator error. I say this as being one who had serious problems with a machine (mechanical, electrical), but still most of my problems were associated with the machine's/software's learning curve.

I have found that both Sears and Carvewright stand behind the product 100%. In my book, you can't ask for more.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Quote Originally Posted by DDV View Post
    I spent several hours reading many threads from post to ends and guarantee that ther is more negative posts then there is positive on this forum about the CC and CW. Trouble-free, love it, what a great machine, quality are the type of words you don't read. I'm a newbee at this forum and that is my first impression. If I am wrong, I am wrong and I will be the first to admit to it.
    Thank You
    DDV
    I guess its the difference between the "Troubleshooting" forum and the "Gallery" forum. People in the Gallery are happy because they are proud enough of their finished project to display it for the world (although admittedly "our" world is some Canadians and 2 Brits). The Troubleshooting forum (where you will be spending some time it seems) is where the unhappy go since that's where the broken machines are, and some overflow into the "Machine" forum unfortunately.

But you did purchase a known broken machine. Ebay does has buyer protections, especially if you used PayPal. If there is something wrong with the machine that was not expressely covered in the description and subsequent emails then you have a case to get refunded. If you purchased it with knowledge of further problems then its fish and you need to swim with it, not blame CW for hooking you.

To get started, either call CW and buy a cover (for about $10+) or visit ebay again to get your money back to buy a good machine. Other than a poor choice of adhesive on the back of the head (that I fixed with superglue) and a burnt flexshaft cable that will arrive next Wednesday (but is still useable), mine has worked like a dream. All I can say is the machine is worth some effort.
    For premade quality patterns visit Vector Arts 3D.

"Belief has never been a prerequisite of truth." - me

Thanks, semper fi, Jeff Birt, and hand turned maple for the good things said about CW aka CC. I am well aware of what is sold on e-bay. That is why I never buy anything on-line without using a credit card that has buyer protection. I even got one that is used only for on-line ordering. I don't even plan on applying power to the machine until I read the manual several times and have a good understanding of the softwear. I spent most of my working days, fixing machines that other people messed up. Why, The didn't read the manual!!

Hello DDV and welcome- sorry to hear of your troubles. You have a good many recourses available to you concerning this. I think I found your auction- if the machine arrived to you dead then your seller says he will give you a refund. Assuming you have contacted him and this recourse is no longer an option then yes you have your credit card and eBay protections.

As a seller on eBay myself I'm assuming you have contacted the seller? It's the first step in the chain. If they don't honor their guarantee eBay will not be pleased. Leaving a negative feedback is not the first step everyone wants a happy ending and I hope you will find yours.

My best to you and yours.

Julie

PS nothing makes us happier then to see new folks come on here and see photos of what they are doing or have done. So we'd like to see you slinging chips too!
    "Today I am becoming who I once dreamed to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DDV View Post
    I don't even plan on applying power to the machine until I read the manual several times and have a good understanding of the softwear. I spent most of my working days, fixing machines that other people messed up. Why, The didn't read the manual!!
    How do you know that you have any problem other than the broken cover if you havent powered up yet?

Also to head off the next complaint before it comes, you will probably need to have your machines serial number re-registered with cw and will have to call them to have it reset. If you search the forums for used machines you will find many threads about this and other problems that people who have bought used machines have ran into as well as the resolutions.
    Why don't they ever clear a neighborhood to plant a forest instead of the other way around.

The Bard Guest

"If you see something you like, on average you'll tell three people.

If you see something you don't like, on average you'll tell twelve."

Human nature. The complainers are the loudest. Anyone who doesn't know this basic fact needs to back up a step and realize that they just now probably fit into that catagory. You haven't even powered it up yet and you're already complaining. If nothing is wrong with your machine other than what was stated I think you're going to feel really strange inside for your first post on here. But then again, you'll be happier with your purchase as well so I guess it balances out.

but then again, I'm an idiot.