Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Import and CUT out pattern

I have done what you are trying to do …..but you have to blow the picture up as large as you can get into designer, make your pattern, then outline and scale it back down to get a decent gear.
    I built an entire wooden clock doing that….never got a tick tock. the gears came out elliptical an ragged.
    I spent two weeks on it then gave up……. bought DXF importer shortly after.

Brent
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Our posts overlapped, yes 6 spokes, Thank you for your information, I see now what my problem is, A computer geek I am not, I am hands on all the way, but cutting gears by hand is too labor intensive, so I will learn this no matter how long it takes!

If you tell me exactly the gear parameters you want (screen capture of the gear generator?), I can import the gear and post the file for you. That way you can give it a try before you commit to the $200 for the DXF Importer. (Alternatively, if you post the gear generator DXF we can import it into Designer for you.)
    Last edited by bergerud; 12-05-2014 at 11:45 PM.

@bergerud Thank you, would it be possible to cut the last one you posted? I am interested to see how clean the detail will be on the teeth? I am not asking you to cut it , it looks like I will have to change the board size!

I made the board 1/4" thick and assigned the 1/16" cutting bit. The board size as well as the cutting bit size can be easily be changed. Play around with it.

If you want to cut a smaller gear for a test, let me know. What bits do you have and how thick do you want the gear?

As an alternative, I've designed and built a few clocks using the free gear generating tools in this post: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...795#post149795 DXF importer is not required. Works with Designer 1 and 1/8" cutting bit.

Does that also require the ai2mpc converter? And if so, could the ai2mpc also be used with the gear generator 3?

It does. It too is available free and is integrated quite nicely into the Radial Vector Designer - one click and it generates an mpc of the gear. I don't know about gear generator 3.

My gears will be 1/2 baltic birch ply, they are for a hand crank alternator I made for charging small batteries, cell phones etc. Thanks everyone and dick B I will check that out, as I too have gear generator3

Dick is talking about a different gear generating program which is free and would not require you to purchase the Carvewright DXF Importer add on. It would not be as "user friendly" as Gear Generater 3 and DXF Import. I guess it depends what you plan to do.

For now, what do you want to try? Cutting out a gear from 1/2" birch using the 1/8" cutting bit? You could try and attach a DXF (the with polylines option) of the gear you want.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast