Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carving to much out of the pattern

The cross is beautiful. You have some of the best patterns. Do you make the patterns yourself or do you have a source for them?

Thank you Sharon. I have a source for the patterns. I've tried making some of my own with limited success but nothing as detailed the purchased ones. Most of them I can use the STL importer and resize them with no problems but I have a handful that I have yet to be able to open even with the demo version of Sculptor. I really enjoy making these.
    Ambrose Stapleton
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    The cross is beautiful. You have some of the best patterns. Do you make the patterns yourself or do you have a source for them?

The cross came out great. That would be a wonderful carving to share with others this time of year!

Quote Originally Posted by kcc2012 View Post
    Thank you for the help. I tried making my own basketball but failed miserably at it. I will work on this some more tomorrow. Thank you once again for the help. I finished a different carve and it came out really nice. So I am really hoping this is operator error and not my machine breaking down again.

Thank you
    Ambrose Stapleton
    Hi Ambrose,

That carve looks a tad "rough" and should be able to come out much better than that (as long as the ptn file is good).

Did you set your Bit Optimization to "Best"? That should help a lot.

Also, what was the quality setting you chose when uploading to the memory card? Should be "Best" as a minimum or preferably "Optimal" if you have the patience for the extra carve time.

I think you'll be surprised how much of an improvement you'll see with those settings. (Both Bit Optimization "Best" for the ptn(s) and a higher quality setting when uploading to the card too.)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by kcc2012 View Post
    Thank you for the help. I tried making my own basketball but failed miserably at it. I will work on this some more tomorrow.

Thank you
    Ambrose Stapleton
    To make the basketball, Draw a circle and use the "Puff: Bubble" tool with a depth of about .125. For the lines, use the Arc tool, assign a 60 degree bit to minimize bleed over and set the depth to .02". Make sure you put a check in the "Conform" box for each of the lines. You can also put a carve region around it for effect.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 12-08-2014 at 10:06 AM.
    Steve

I made this carve mostly just to make sure that it wasn't my machine that was messing up the plaques I was carving. I always use Best or Optimal on the ptn's and the card upload. It hasn't mattered weather I use Oak or Pine for my carvings they always come out rough looking and takes a lot of time to finish. I've used brand new bits and old bits with always the same result. Im wondering if its just the quality of wood I have available. I recently got hold of some bass wood that I will have to glue up and just haven't attempted to do that yet. As far as the plaques go they are all done with wood supplied by the customer. I'm afraid to use the bass wood because it might come out really nice and I'll have to figure out where to buy it and have it shipped in. Thanks for the advice I appreciate all I get.

Ambrose Stapleton

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Ambrose,

That carve looks a tad "rough" and should be able to come out much better than that (as long as the ptn file is good).

Did you set your Bit Optimization to "Best"? That should help a lot.

Also, what was the quality setting you chose when uploading to the memory card? Should be "Best" as a minimum or preferably "Optimal" if you have the patience for the extra carve time.

I think you'll be surprised how much of an improvement you'll see with those settings. (Both Bit Optimization "Best" for the ptn(s) and a higher quality setting when uploading to the card too.)

Thank you for the additional info, Ambrose. It still seems you can get a better result and reduce some of the finish sanding. Since I don't have access to the actual PTN file, I can't say whether it is mostly 'smooth' or not. (If it has a texture, that will carve too and you will have to deal with a little more sanding.)

Did you also make sure that you had Bit Optimization set to Best? (select the PTN, right-click, select Bit Optimization: BEST)

Not sure how the Basswood will come out. I've only used it in the Rotary Jig and was pleased. I think it was Clint who mentioned it came out a little fuzzy when flat carving, but it's worth experimenting at your end to see what happens.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

8. Default

I use basswood rounds from michaels and hobby lobby all the time. They carve great but you have to watch if staining, they splotch and soak up stain quickly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12