Thread: Head pressure problems with new machine.

Default Head pressure problems with new machine.

Hi guys
    I took delivery of my new machine back in September, promptly ordered a dust hood, registered it and left it in its box due to my work load. The Thanksgiving weekend provided me with the perfect opportunity to get it up and running.

Here's what I've run into. The initial setup showed really low head pressure (high 40's to high 50's) so I cleaned and lubed all four shafts (bone dry) and the two threaded screws which got me up to low to mid 60's. Following the manual I re-adjusted all four posts on the bench, put it all back together and all I could get out of it was 67,68 lbs. Once, playing with the handle I saw the scale blip up to 74 but that was it, after that it's in the mid 60 lbs range.

I figured what the heck let's see what happens anyway. I made up a simple test project requiring a board 6x12x1/2. I used some pine scrap, added 7 inches to the length and ran it through the joiner and planer, ripped it and squared it and inserted it. The machine got to the "Measure board" function and repeatedly came back with Clear board Sensors and Tracking Roller errors. I ran all the sensor tests per the manual and they came back good...sounds like similar situation as ZAN 29 posted a few days ago.

Will just a few lbs low head pressure cause this? I read elsewhere here about shimming the clutch with washers to increase the pressure? Do I need to contact LHR?

Thanks in advance guys.

If you have it in your Garage and its cold that will effect the head pressure. also use masking tape on the bottom of the board it helps with the tracking roller getting a grip on the board.

3. Default

I am sure you can fix this yourself but because it is under warranty I would call it in so you don't wait so long that you lose your warranty and then find you actually have a mechanical problem.

You can remove one or two of the thin washers from the right side (as looking at the keyboard) corner posts to add to the crank handle shaft to get more pressure. Like posted before a low/cold temp in the shop will effect head pressure readings.

The minimum board thickness for the machine is 1/2" so make sure your board is really 1/2", if not you will get errors during measurement.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks for the quick replies.
    As for temperature my shop is at 67 degrees so that shouldn't be an issue.
    The board is right at 1/2" but I think i'll attach a piece of mdf to the bottom to raise it a bit and see if that makes a difference.
    I will try the washer trick to see if there's any change. Looks like there's a spring on the handle shaft, do the washers go on the shaft first then reinstall the spring?
    Regardless I will call this in to LHR on Monday.

The tracking roller error could be because it is slipping I always put masking tape along the bottom of the board where the tracking roller is. This helps and stops the slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by hemisent View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    As for temperature my shop is at 67 degrees so that shouldn't be an issue.
    The board is right at 1/2" but I think i'll attach a piece of mdf to the bottom to raise it a bit and see if that makes a difference.
    I will try the washer trick to see if there's any change. Looks like there's a spring on the handle shaft, do the washers go on the shaft first then reinstall the spring?
    Regardless I will call this in to LHR on Monday.
    Correct, the washers go on before the spring. There should already be a few on the shaft. Good idea to try an under board just to verify if that will clear your problem. With low head pressure though that might be part of the problem.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

And I believe you checked head level too when you did your corner posts?

The quickest way is to place a board on both sides cranked down and with Z Data touch left and right side.

Ane a planer can make for a very smooth brass roller area so like above masking tape... I have Stock in a masking tape company...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks to all...initial problem with board tracking solved. I added 1/4 inch hardoard runners to both sides of the piece effectively raising it up a bit and applied green frog tape to both sides. There were no additional washers under the post so I guess I still have head pressure that's a bit too low. At least we have progress.