Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: loons on the lake

If all you want to do is see what it will look like when you carve it on a scale of 24” X 36” do this. Start with new board in Designer, size 14” X 21” (smaller than your 24” X 36” but same scale). Place a line 7” from each end to indicate the 3 boards. Now copy your items onto the new board, rotate 90 degrees, size accordingly and place them where you will want them to be on the 24” X 36” board and you will have an idea of what it will look like on the 24” X 36” board, just in a smaller scale.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by chkorte View Post
    If all you want to do is see what it will look like when you carve it on a scale of 24” X 36” do this. Start with new board in Designer, size 14” X 21” (smaller than your 24” X 36” but same scale). Place a line 7” from each end to indicate the 3 boards. Now copy your items onto the new board, rotate 90 degrees, size accordingly and place them where you will want them to be on the 24” X 36” board and you will have an idea of what it will look like on the 24” X 36” board, just in a smaller scale.
    im using 1.187 so it wont open ,

OK this is what I came up with , can some look at it and tweakloon top.mpcloon middle.mpcloon bottom.mpc it if needed hope it comes out 24 long by 36 wide

anyone feel this will work

Not one of the more experienced on multiple board carves but what I see just opening the three MPC's looks like a winner. Didn't set up measurements to verify alignment but just visually moving through the 3 MPC's they seem in alignment and should glue up nicely.
    Rick H

Thanks
    I hope so

Not sure why it did not move up or down for you. I took your file and followed my directions and produced these three mpcs with no issue. Note that on the top and bottom mpcs I placed the patterns such that there will be a little bit of extra board. my technique is to trim these slightly wiyth a table saw after the carvings are done for a perfect alignment match.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loon1 top.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	408.6 KB 
ID:	72917 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loon1 middle.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	621.6 KB 
ID:	72918

There is an added complication with your project. Because the middle board carving spans the entire width of the board for a considerable distance, the board will likely loose contact with the rollers and cause problems. You need to add some sacrificial rails to and bottom to maintain roller contact. Notice that I have increased the virtual board width to 10" from 8" and placed 1" wide rectangular masks top and bottom to create the rails in the project. (There are other ways to do this.) To carve the project, I attach temporary (and reusable) 1" boards top and bottom, then remove these when done. You could also use a 10" board and trim 1" off top and bottom after the project is carved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loon1 middle with rails.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	732.4 KB 
ID:	72919
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks dick for that Great help , ? Is is there a way to remove the circle from this loon pattern that I bought off cw site because when I hit select all it does not show up

well after showing my friend the rough layout they loved it even with the circle , im still a bit worried about the layout these are the new ones loontest top1.mpcloontestmid2.mpcloontest bot3.mpc my boards are 11.25 wide x 31 long

Quote Originally Posted by PDunn View Post
    well after showing my friend the rough layout they loved it even with the circle , im still a bit worried about the layout these are the new ones loontest top1.mpcloontestmid2.mpcloontest bot3.mpc my boards are 11.25 wide x 31 long
    I don't like the lettering , not sure what would look better

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast