Thread: making a pattern from a group

Default making a pattern from a group

Hello everyone. I am getting more and more involved in using my Carve Wright to make specialized trim pieces for my house.
    My most recent endeavor is to make some trim rings to bring my electrical outlets out from my log siding wainscot.
    I have refined the carving to the point that I want it but am now trying to make a pattern of it so I can put several of them on a board to cut all at once and not waste so much wood. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have to make a pattern necessarily but need to be able to put the entire group of "carvings" on the board maintaining them all in the same relationship. I've attached the MPC.outlets with cutouts.mpc

If you do a search you will find many posts with patterns in them of switch plates, most blank plates you can add patterns to.
    Here is one place to start http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...=switch+plates
    Yes you can group them on one board and cut them all at once.
    Last edited by eelamb; 11-15-2014 at 10:08 PM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Thanks, I've found those. This is the ring I need to put the outlet vertical. It goes behind the face plate and holds the outlet out away from log siding.

The two rectangles you have go off of the board. These will be a problem if you want to put many on one board. Group the two rectangles (2&3) and make them into a pattern. Only the parts of the rectangles which are on the the board will be made into the pattern. With that pattern and the two rectangle cutouts, you will have something that you can arrange on a bigger board.

After you have made the pattern, delete the rectangles 2&3 and replace them with the pattern. Select all, copy, create a new project, and paste, paste, paste. Hope that helps.

I played a little with your project and there were some glitches in my suggestions. You also have to undo the mirror and attachments. Also add another rectangle to cut out the whole switch. Here is what I came up with as the type of thing I think you want to do.
    Attached Files Attached Files