Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pattern help

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    There are no long cutting bits. There are only long carving bits.
    I only have 1.87 so I stand corrected, thanks.

You're right Bergerud, my mistake. So how does it work if you carve with the long bit in 1.5" board........you can't do any cutouts right?

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    There are no long cutting bits. There are only long carving bits.

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    You're right Bergerud, my mistake. So how does it work if you carve with the long bit in 1.5" board........you can't do any cutouts right?
    You can….. You just have to assign a cutting bit to an out line on both sides of the board allowing for the radius of the cutting bit and place your own tabs (circles/ovals/etc…. with 0.00 carve depth)
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

that is something that I had a question about.... when doing a 1.5 thick board how would you get the cut out... the machine says that it to deep to carve so I have not done a 1.5 board......is that where you would use a taper on the cut out and put tabs in ?

are you using 2.xx or later? you should be able to carve that deep.

Brent
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

yes Brent I'm using the 2.007. it is when I'm making the program , that it says to deep.. my work around was trying to make a cut from both sides of the board and assign the .125 bit .75 deep... that didn't work, so I give up on it..
    Last edited by aokweld101; 11-14-2014 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    yes Brent I'm using the 2.007. it is when I'm making the program , that it says to deep.. my work around was trying to make a cut from both sides of the board and assign the .125 bit .75 deep... that didn't work, so I give up on it..

I have been playing with it and I think it will do it. It just doesn't show it cutting all the way through.
    I built one of dick bipes' clocks and learned how to do the tabs from him.
    I think you can download the demo and look at his mpc to see how he does it.
    they are only 3/4 but carving 1.5 should be the same principle.
    I have to go or i would spend more time on it

Brent
    Brent

OS X Yosemite

I have not done it yet but cutting from both sides would theoretically work. Just assign the 1/8" or 3/16" cutting bit to the path on each side. Good luck with the line up!

Tabs would be a problem. Maybe one could tape up the first cut when flipping it over instead of fussing with tabs.

(Cut path would be difficult to use. It only works from the front of a board and not if it is thicker than 1".)

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    I usually use a pierced carve region for a cutout in thicker boards. Outline the pattern(s) and use the "Path Offset" tool to get a path about .25" larger than the pattern and make it a "Pierced" carve region. Then place tabs using the manual tab tool. The example is on a 1.5" thick board using the 1/8" long carving bit.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 11-14-2014 at 10:31 AM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I usually use a pierced carve region for a cutout in thicker boards. Outline the pattern(s) and use the "Path Offset" tool to get a path about .25" larger than the pattern and make it a "Pierced" carve region. Then place tabs using the manual tab tool. The example is on a 1.5" thick board using the 1/8" long carving bit.
    That would probably be the most recommended way of getting a piece cut out of a board thicker than 1". The carve time would be longer but the cut out edges would be a lot cleaner.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast