Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need a little help with rotating my work piece

Default need a little help with rotating my work piece

Ok sorry but i searched all over this forum for 3 nights. Cant find it and i know its going to bit me cauce im just not looking in the right place.
    I would like to rotate my board in designer so i can place text on it.
    My board dementions are 20x14x.750
    I would like to stand the board on end and write text that way instead of making it work like some other ideas
    Is designer capable of doing that or do i need a different program or add-on?
    Thank
    Pete

Hi Pete, which version of designer are you using?

If you are using 2.xx or later you can rotate your workpiece from the toolbar. Click on the "F" and a drop down will appear with 3 options.
    You can rotate the piece, but the text will be applied as if it were in the standard view.
    You then will have to rotate it by clicking the green ball and dragging it, or putting 90 in the degree box.

Brent
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Hi Pete,

I am running version 2.007 with conforming vectors. I am not sure if the features are available without conforming.

First you rotate your board in the view - # 1 in the picture below, choose FrontCW
    Add your text. You will notice that it goes on the board as if the board were still in the regular view, and you need to rotate the text. You have 3 options (could be more, I'm still learning too )

2a) The little green ball in the center of the text can be swung around - don't be alarmed if it does weird things to the text as it spins.
    2b) You can type in a specific angle like 42 or 90 deg
    2c) You can just rotate it 90 or 180 deg.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotate board and Text.PNG 
Views:	33 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	72724

Here is a tutorial for a vertical sign, it is made for Designer 2, but some features may be available in earlier versions. It does tell you to do all the rotating, but not how Scroll down til you see the Dr Beards sign and select the PDF:
    http://www.carvewright.com/support-p...2-0-tutorials/

Good luck, and post your project when done!

If you just want your text rotated by 90 degrees, use the Layout menu.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Text rot.png  

Default soory for being late with my reply

Sorry not to respond but I work nights, 12 hr shifts so for 6 days all I do is work and sleep.
    To answer your questions I am running latest version of project designer with centerline add on.
    I would like to rotate the layout board to place my text and I wondering which program I need to do that. Seems it would be easier that way than placing separate letters on the layout and rotating them. I attached a sign similar to the way I would do this but I plan on doing bible verses. For my granddaughters Sunday school bazaar. Seems it would be easer and faster to outline the words then paint them on instead of doing it freehand. Plus I get to play with my carvewright some more.

thanks
    Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imagesCAQXT7A7.jpg  

You can rotate whole words. Just type the words and rotate them after they are on the board. (Note the board is oriented CW 90 degrees in the screen shot.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CYDTLT.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 11-11-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks bergerud,
    That looks like what i want to do.
    Guess i was hung up on rotating the layout board
    That i figured it would be a pain any outer way.
    Thanks again
    Pete

Is it possible to place text on the board then outline the txt then delete the text leaving the outline.
    If so how do I set the depth on the outline to just scratch the surface. I want to use it for word placement.
    thanks pete

Quote Originally Posted by pn14427 View Post
    Is it possible to place text on the board then outline the txt then delete the text leaving the outline.
    If so how do I set the depth on the outline to just scratch the surface. I want to use it for word placement.
    thanks pete
    Is this what you are looking for? I placed the text as "Raster" using the Text Tool. With the text selected I outlined it using the "Outline Pattern" tool from the tools menu. Then I deleted the original text and select all of the paths. Assigned a 60 degree V bit to a depth of .01". Zoom in close to see it more clearly.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast