Thread: Power Fluctuation

Default Power Fluctuation

I have an interesting problem. I do consulting for a local cabinet shop that uses a C version Carvewright. I brought it home for testing and it keeps getting an intermittent "Power Fluctuation" error message that allows it to continue carving by pressing any key. I changed the power supply and I'm still getting the error message. About 40% into the carving it will halt and display an error message that states "the data card needs to be re-flashed. I did that a couple of times and even bought a new data card with the same results. My other machine reads the cards just fine. Extension cords are not an issue. 30 amp circuit and power cord split into two 20 amp gfci plugs on the end and my other Carvewright has no issues using the same setup. The only thing I can think of is that the controller is bad but, I'm open to suggestions. I really hope it isn't the controller as they will probably scrap the machine before spending another $300.00 on what has proven to be an extremely problematic POS. (their terminology)
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I have an interesting problem. I do consulting for a local cabinet shop that uses a C version Carvewright. I brought it home for testing and it keeps getting an intermittent "Power Fluctuation" error message that allows it to continue carving by pressing any key. I changed the power supply and I'm still getting the error message. About 40% into the carving it will halt and display an error message that states "the data card needs to be re-flashed. I did that a couple of times and even bought a new data card with the same results. My other machine reads the cards just fine. Extension cords are not an issue. 30 amp circuit and power cord split into two 20 amp gfci plugs on the end and my other Carvewright has no issues using the same setup. The only thing I can think of is that the controller is bad but, I'm open to suggestions. I really hope it isn't the controller as they will probably scrap the machine before spending another $300.00 on what has proven to be an extremely problematic POS. (their terminology)
    to bad you don't have an extra controller to try it ,, it like a trail an error issue wish you luck
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

That was an issue with the A machines ... I was able to find some " cold Soldier " on one of the boards and fix the part .. You need Big Al he has all the pics of the problem part ... And of course their warranty is up .. Damn Chinese machines ... Well good luck ..
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Quote Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
    to bad you don't have an extra controller to try it ,, it like a trail an error issue wish you luck
    I do have a spare controller but, that's the part that contains all of the registration info so I cant swap it out.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ktjwilliams View Post
    That was an issue with the A machines ... I was able to find some " cold Soldier " on one of the boards and fix the part .. You need Big Al he has all the pics of the problem part ... And of course their warranty is up .. Damn Chinese machines ... Well good luck ..
    I think it was the L2 coil on the power board but, I'm not sure if it caused a power fluctuation error or an intermittent power failure.
    Steve

According to the trouble shooting documentation, it has to do with the 5V power system. If it is not the power source or the power supply, they say it is a connection or a short in the machine.

http://www.carvewright.com/support-p...er_fluctuation

You can swap the controller for testing purposes. The calibration maybe different so projects may not come out perfect but this will tell you if it is a control issue. I would also check the ffc cable it could be shorting out and if this is an A model that still has the small ribbon to the board sensor I would remove that.

Chris is correct, likely you can swap the controller to prove out the problem. a FFC Cable could be the problem too... but in a strange way.... see my picture... a RAW Wire that could be bumping the cooling fins of the Y Motor causing a ground on the 5 volts giving you a problem. OR shorting 2 wires together.

And since you changed the power supply then un likely the L2 on the power supply...

Then we have the board sensor wires running down the metal track, if the positive 5 volt wire was pinched it could cause the power problem...

Then we have the on off switch crimp connectors of the wires AND Switch....

Something metal made it's way into the controller?

Then we have the cable that takes the power from the power supply to computer, it could have a bad crimp on a wire. OR a broken solder joint on the 5 volt jack on the controller?

Then we have the keypad wires... and raw wires touching metal?

Being a "C" Machine this problem is un expected...

This could be a real BEAR to find...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02628_WEB.jpg   DSC02624_WEB.jpg   DSC08501_WEB.jpg   DSC08506_WEB.jpg  

DSC03367_WEB.jpg   DSC08502_WEB.jpg   Image001MA24062292-0019_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 11-07-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Chris is correct, likely you can swap the controller to prove out the problem. a FFC Cable could be the problem too... but in a strange way.... see my picture... a RAW Wire that could be bumping the cooling fins of the Y Motor causing a ground on the 5 volts giving you a problem. OR shorting 2 wires together.

And since you changed the power supply then un likely the L2 on the power supply...

Then we have the board sensor wires running down the metal track, if the positive 5 volt wire was pinched it could cause the power problem...

Then we have the on off switch crimp connectors of the wires AND Switch....

Something metal made it's way into the controller?

Then we have the cable that takes the power from the power supply to computer, it could have a bad crimp on a wire. OR a broken solder joint on the 5 volt jack on the controller?

Then we have the keypad wires... and raw wires touching metal?

Being a "C" Machine this problem is un expected...

This could be a real BEAR to find...

AL
    Thank you gentlemen. This gives me places to start.
    Steve