Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would like to make model car parts

Default would like to make model car parts

Sorry, newbie here,

I make model wooden cars and trucks. I would love to mass produce 2 of my trucks. Is there a way to import my plans into the carvewright? My granddaughter seems to think I need to use a cad program to draw up the parts then transfer them. seems like a heck of a lot of work just to make squares and rectangles out of 1/2 inch wood. Plus I really don't want to spend all that money on a cad program if I don't have to.

Just wondering if I'm on the right track or not.

If I am posting this in the wrong area I am sorry, tried searching the forum I got so many hits it would take me a week to read them all.

Thanks for your help in advance
    Pete

Welcome to the forum. Can you post a picture of the type of cars you want to make? This sounds like a cool use of the machine.

Default let me try

photos are too big for your forum
    I will try to make them smaller
    pete

Default think this might work

I'm no computer genius
    This might work they are not the best but best I can give you for now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails truck.jpg  

I must say, those are pretty cool! I am bowed up with my real job for the next two weeks or I would love to help you through getting them set up - yes, I believe you could do most of it on the machine

It doesn't look like there is anything there the CW can't make.
    I have found it faster to use conventional tools to do straight cuts.
    The parts it would save time and increase accuracy are the complex things like wheels, head lights, bends in the exhaust stacks etc…...

They would make awesome projects if you were to make everything using the CW.

Brent
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

You should be able to redraw the parts in the Designer program. I, and others on this forum, would be interested in helping if you have any trouble. I like your trucks.

(There is really no way in import your plans if they are just on paper. If you have DXF versions, they could be imported with the DXF importer add-on. If you have the 2D tools add-on, you could import images and trace them. I would just redraw them.)

they are in a pdf I was just trying to find out the easiest way to transfer them or If I had to draw them. Whoo I was afraid I would have to use a cad program. At my age I don't cave enough time to learn another program.
    thanks all for your posts
    I will try to use designer to cut my pieces. I will keep you updated on my progress.

pete

Quote Originally Posted by pn14427 View Post
    they are in a pdf I was just trying to find out the easiest way to transfer them or If I had to draw them. Whoo I was afraid I would have to use a cad program. At my age I don't cave enough time to learn another program.
    thanks all for your posts
    I will try to use designer to cut my pieces. I will keep you updated on my progress.

pete
    Hi Pete, If you have the toy patterns in a PDF format you can make photos of each page of that PDF. I do that with my toy PDF file. Then with a program like Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator (Ai) make a DXF file of the Toy patterns. With the Carve Wright DXF program you can make a Vector Drawing that you can use in the CW Designer program to carve your toy parts. There are free programs to use to make the DXF files.

Also with Photoshop you can make drawing images to make PTN files if you have the Pattern Editor program.

the attachment is one of my Toy Rocking Horse patterns.

If you "PM" me with your E-Mail address - I can help you. BJB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PDF File images.JPG  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

10. Default

I may be able to help you convert them. I sent you a private message

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast