Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: November 2014 Project of the Month - Christmas Candle Centerpiece

Default November 2014 Project of the Month - Christmas Candle Centerpiece

Hello,

This Candle Centerpiece design features pinecones and evergreen branches to adorn your holiday table! The “candles” are PVC pipes with battery operated flickering tea lights resting at the base of each one. The pipes lift out of recessed grooves for easy access to turn the lights on and off. All components are carved and cut out using just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

The completed project dimensions are about 10" x 16" oval x 1.5" thick (not including PVC candle height).

Main items you will need:
    1) The Project Files (included):
    • Christmas_Centerpiece_TOP.mpc
    • Centerpiece_BASE.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
    TOP: 0.75" x 11" x 24"
    BASE: 0.75" x 11" x 24"

Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine in all cases.

3) One 8.5"and two 6.5" lengths of 1.5" PVC pipe (NOTE: a 1.5" PVC pipe has an outer diameter of 2")

4) Three battery operated LED tea light candles, wood glue, sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

LED Tea Lights Sourced from Amazon.com
    AGPtek 24 Battery Operated LED Cool White Tea Light Flickering Candles $15.99 (less than $0.67 for each light)
    Box of 24 Cool White Led Flameless Flickering Candles. Includes 24 CR2032 coin batteries (inside the candles)
    http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Operate...WX09BMYKEGMBKQ

I purchased the Cool White LED candles above. If you prefer, Warm White LED candles are also available..

AGPtek 24 Battery Operated LED Warm White Tea Light Candle Flickering $17.99
    Box of 24 Warm White Led Flameless Flickering Candles. Includes 24 CR2032 coin batteries (inside the candles)
    http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Battery...V6M61MZ79QP0AG

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish.
    Here’s what I used on my own “Christmas Candle Centerpiece” made from Select Pine:

• Several light coats Zinsser Bulls Eye spray Shellac sanding between coats

• Applied green craft paint with fingertip on the raised “branches” only

• Applied three coats Zinsser Bulls Eye spray Shellac

• Applied Rust-Oleum Carrington stain overall, then wiped off the high spots to enhance the carving details

• Several light coats of Krylon Clear acrylic spray as the final topcoat

Ideas for variations:
    • Paint the PVC pipe “candles” - gold, red, or green
    • Add metallic glitter flakes on the PVC pipes using spray adhesive, then a clear topcoat
    • Apply white paint “snow” on the pine cones and branches using your finger or a paint pen or a brush
    • If you own the CarveWright Rotary Jig, you can carve your a design or photo on each of the PVC pipes for a classy lithophane backlit effect!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails machining_TOP_550x413.png   apply-green-paint_550x413.png   sealing-paint.png   apply-stain_550x413.png  

wipe-off-stain-to-highlight-details550x413.png   Christmas_Candle_Centerpiece_550x547.png   Christmas_Candle_Centerpiece_430x430.png  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 11-03-2014 at 10:37 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Looks like a Good One !!! Thanks, Michael . Capt Barry

that is nice ,when will it be available in the store for to buy
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Looks like fun finger painting!!! You done a great job Michael. Getting us ready for the season.

Yes, I regressed into my childhood finger painting urges! I had not planned to do any painting at all on this...was going to stain only. Some folks may still prefer to do that and that's fine.

It was at my wife's request that I add some color (green) to the branches and I'm really glad I did. She's happy, I'm happy, and my world is in perfect harmony!

Tip on the green paint color...paint with a brighter/lighter green than what you would normally use. The darker stain over the top will tone down (darken) the brighter green and yield better highlights when strategically wiping the stain off.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Wonderful_wonderful_ Awesome project:
    What a great item for Christmas.................Home Run !!!!!!!!!
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Yes, Very Nice project !!!!

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

That is another awesome Project of the Month design Michael and it is especially fun to see you getting in touch with your inner Kindergartner with the finger painting.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

That is great project.... I'm thinking if you put lights in the pipe using the rotary jig a person might be able to make it into a lithophane and add to it.....

For sure..........quite the home run Michael!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast