Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality issues with PNG import - preview of pattern looks good actual pattern not so

Default Quality issues with PNG import - preview of pattern looks good actual pattern not so

I have worked up a logo for carving using GIMP. When I import the file to Designer ( 1.187 still ) the preview looks great and exactly what I expected to see. However, once the pattern is imported and placed onto a project board, some areas start to show artifacts not present on the preview screen.

Is there a reason for this. I suppose I need to upload the files so someone can test this out. For now, here are two screenshots. One is the preview screen from the file import and the other is the pattern on a project board. Notice the differences in the wings. There are a few other areas that show this type of quality loss. I am selecting BEST for bit optimization.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 7.33.23 AM.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	920.2 KB 
ID:	72607The pattern on the project board

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 7.34.32 AM.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	434.9 KB 
ID:	72608The pattern preview from the import screen
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

Try setting board setting to grey in the project. It might just be the grain of the project boardthat is causing the lines.

Here is the Pattern file. When opened in the the P.E. program you can see none of those artifacts are visible between the feathers that you see when placed on the project board.

I can't attach the file so it's in my Dropbox folder - LINK

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Carver View Post
    Try setting board setting to grey in the project. It might just be the grain of the project boardthat is causing the lines.
    Did that after I took the screenshot and no improvement. I just added a link to the actual pattern file which can be opened in the PE and then someone can place it on a project board and see if you have the same results.

I suspect the issue is the size of the pattern. If the width between the feathers in the wings is less than or close to 1/16", you are going to get some distortion. I think you are at the limits of the 1/16" carving bit.

Went into the pattern editor, and tried to use the blur and smooth tool and put the settings on three and still got the ridges in the feathers maybe to get these out of there it might be a job for the sculpture program.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails liverpool.PNG  

If you have pattern editor, those are pretty easy fixes. You can make the "Bumps" all the same color, or you can try some of the filters. I have had the same issues. It takes about 10 minutes in Pattern Editor to clean it up.

I second the guess that those lines in the wings are to narrow for the carving bit. I see that type of aberration often when doing small carvings. If you do an experiment and make the pattern larger you will probably see it go away.

The problem is caused by the geometry of the carving bit. Setting the bit optimization to none and the draft to small may help.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 11-03-2014 at 09:23 AM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post
    Here is the Pattern file. When opened in the the P.E. program you can see none of those artifacts are visible between the feathers that you see when placed on the project board.

I can't attach the file so it's in my Dropbox folder - LINK
    Hi, I think the background is messing this up, I remove the background and it looks better. I can send you the PTN file if you "PM" me your e-mail. BJB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Liverpool Football Club FINAL-cw.PNG   liver pool LOGO PE.PNG   Liverpool Football Club FINAL+_DISP-cw.PNG  
    Last edited by bjbethke; 11-04-2014 at 03:22 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast