Thread: Next Project - Not quite finished

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Next Project - Not quite finished

Sorry I haven't finished the project but I really wanted to share what I have managed to do so far. I am off on a business trip and won't have a chance to work on this for at least a week I am really excited on how this project is looking.

It is a medium sized ( 30x22x18 ) blanket chest made with Purple heart, Maple and African Padauk. I have the front and side panels and joined them today. I finished the top carving today as well. It was my longest carve so far at 3 hours. Thankfully it went smooth as butter. Not a single issue. When I get back I will start assembling the chest. I was surprised how wonderfully the Padauk carves though I shouldn't be because it cuts beautifully as long as you have good sharp carbide blades. The Padauk will darken within a year or two to a reddish dark brown that is almost black. I did use a brand new bit to carve it. Though its probably not brand new anymore.

The images are from the NicPic collection that can be found on this forum. They carved pretty impressively as you can see. I really like how the coy pond looks. The pictures don't do the carvings justice. I can't wait to see the piece when I apply the poly.

Next pics hopefully of the finished piece in two weeks when I get back from the trip and have a chance to work on it some more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coy pond.jpg   front_back panel.jpg   side panels.jpg