Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cane makers - help please!

Default Cane makers - help please!

I've had the rotary jig for some time now and thus far have only used it on PVC for lithos. I had no intent on cane making but my neighbor (Retired Marine Msgt) just recently had to start using one and went the generic route. He's a cancer survivor and has put been put through the ringer and then some. We were talking about it the other day, he likes the traditional handle, would "some day" like to go with something moto but not too over the top but can't find anything online that he's looking for. I want to make his cane for him but to be honest I don't have a lot of experience with this. I've dabbled with the .stl importer and read a bit on the forums but I'm hoping someone with more experience can help me out "walk the dog if you will". If you could provide patterns or mpc's great, if not I push in the right directions with some recommendations would be a great help. Also, if I get a 4x4 would I need to mill it down to be round or would I be able to load it as is in the jig? I read on tips and tricks about outer and inner diameters with square stock but I just want to double tap it instead of looking back after I broke a bit etc. Thank you in advance!
    Paul
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

If you are using a 4x4 an approximation to round that many turners use is to cut the corners off at a 45 degree angle on the table saw to give it an octagonal cross section. Seems like it should work for the rotary too.

I usually knock the corners off before I start, but you don't have to….the machine will ask to round it for you.
    4x4 is kind of large for a cane shaft blank. I started with 1.5 x 1.5.

I have only made one cane on the rotary and probably won't do another. I will most likely do a two sided carve so the cane shaft is all one piece.
    It is a real challenge getting the pieces drilled properly for connecting.

Brent
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

So a 4x4 would be large? I figured since you'd be relief carving it that you'd need it to be larger, also for regidity. So if I understand you right a double sided carve would work? I have both long carving bits if needed. Would it be worth doing a test double sided carve on a 2x4 shorty that I remove the curves off the ends? Sorry for all the questions this is just a step a little in the deep end for me. Thank you.
    -Paul

Yes, It depends what you are doing for the handle, but the shaft even at 1-1.25 is still larger than what most you can buy.
    I played with doing a 2 sided or even four sided carve for the shaft but it gets complicated when you are doing a rope pattern.

I did the horse on this one as a two piece double sided carve out of 3/4" material.
    As I said this was my first one so I am no expert.

I layed it up as a 2 sided carve first and it was going to take 3.5 hours per side to carve so I carved it rotary on the shaft.

that took less carving time but more fitting time.
    I am not sure but i think the way to do these would be to drill them before you carve as you would a duck call.
    set up on the drill press and get everything plumb and drilled exact center.

Brent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10665762_291639031021415_7979290426303383976_n.jpg  
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Brent that looks great!

Great looking cane, Brent. I can see where the fit up would be a challenge, but it sure came out nice...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Carver View Post
    Brent that looks great!
    Thank you,

It should! I have about 3 days in it. I built it to customer specs and they brought it back…. can you add 3" to it
    Anyway I should have just built another one it would have been quicker.

Brent
    Brent

OS X Yosemite

Don't you love it when that happens... Can you Change this? After you already did exactly what they asked for.
    -Paul

I have even considered carving them rotary and cutting them down the middle lengthwise and run a core box bit down the insides to receive a steel shaft for stability.
    Brent

OS X Yosemite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast