Thread: Flexshaft core "too short"?

1. Default Flexshaft core "too short"?

I have 13 hours cutting time on my carvewright -

Spent the last 3 hours trying to do one carve. First I spent an hour getting the head pressure up, lube and readjust posts didn't help, read on here someone who used dry lube instead, that got it to 69 and I called that close enough.

Then start carve, and get a "clean y rails". Nothing on the rails, so i lubed them, and it started carving again offset from the original. Board ruined.

So I load a new board, clean the rail real well, and start again. This time I notice that when the carve starts, my motor (and bit) start spinning, but after 1 second the bit stops, but the motor is still running.

To the best I can diagnose my problem is the flexshaft core isn't long enough to be fitting into the motor and the chuck at the same time. If I take my flexshaft out of the chuck, the core wants to sit flush with the sheath, not protrude. If I pull it out a bit (centimeter or so) and start the motor, the core doesn't rotate - I have to push it all the way in.

This doesn't make any sense to me - When I set up the carvewright a couple of weeks ago this wasn't a problem, the core stuck out the suggested amount and worked fine. Why is it now seemingly too short?

Thank the baby jesus for this forum. I'm halfway to boxing the carvewright up and sending it back, if this forum wasn't here it would have been on a ups truck going to Texas a week ago!

My advice to anyone considering a carvewright - check your credit card's return and chargeback time limits so you don't get stuck with a dud, and have no way to return it!

2. Default

see if the sheath of the flexshaft either slipped out of the motor housing or if the sheath seperated from the fitting where it connects to the motor. My guess is one of the two happened thus making it appear the flex shaft is short when in reality the sheath has slipped down towards the chuck. I have seen the sheath separate and used epoxy to glue it back to the fitting. be careful not to break the plastic end of the motor housing when messing with flex shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by semibreve42 View Post
    I have 13 hours cutting time on my carvewright -

Spent the last 3 hours trying to do one carve. First I spent an hour getting the head pressure up, lube and readjust posts didn't help, read on here someone who used dry lube instead, that got it to 69 and I called that close enough.

Then start carve, and get a "clean y rails". Nothing on the rails, so i lubed them, and it started carving again offset from the original. Board ruined.

So I load a new board, clean the rail real well, and start again. This time I notice that when the carve starts, my motor (and bit) start spinning, but after 1 second the bit stops, but the motor is still running.

To the best I can diagnose my problem is the flexshaft core isn't long enough to be fitting into the motor and the chuck at the same time. If I take my flexshaft out of the chuck, the core wants to sit flush with the sheath, not protrude. If I pull it out a bit (centimeter or so) and start the motor, the core doesn't rotate - I have to push it all the way in.

This doesn't make any sense to me - When I set up the carvewright a couple of weeks ago this wasn't a problem, the core stuck out the suggested amount and worked fine. Why is it now seemingly too short?

Thank the baby jesus for this forum. I'm halfway to boxing the carvewright up and sending it back, if this forum wasn't here it would have been on a ups truck going to Texas a week ago!

My advice to anyone considering a carvewright - check your credit card's return and chargeback time limits so you don't get stuck with a dud, and have no way to return it!
    where do you live maybe some one close can help you that has a machine
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

4. Default

A logical answer, but that doesn't seem to be it.

I took off the back cover and removed several of the screws around the motor near where the flex shaft protrudes. I've pulled and pushed as hard as I dare, but it doesn't budge at all. I'm guessing I have to remove all the screws around the motor to get the plastic housing off to actually remove the sheath? I can do that if you think that's the solution but I'm not seeing how the sheath could have moved, it's super well attached.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
    where do you live maybe some one close can help you that has a machine
    30 Minutes East of Concord, NH (03037). I know according to the Start U website there's no one within 100 miles

6. Default

The square end of the flex shaft may of broke off a bit. I had that happen on a weed eater. Similar type of shaft I think.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by edsingletary View Post
    The square end of the flex shaft may of broke off a bit. I had that happen on a weed eater. Similar type of shaft I think.
    I just pulled it all the way out and the squared off end sections are the same length - I'm assuming this is correct, or are they supposed to be different?

Quote Originally Posted by semibreve42 View Post
    A logical answer, but that doesn't seem to be it.

I took off the back cover and removed several of the screws around the motor near where the flex shaft protrudes. I've pulled and pushed as hard as I dare, but it doesn't budge at all. I'm guessing I have to remove all the screws around the motor to get the plastic housing off to actually remove the sheath? I can do that if you think that's the solution but I'm not seeing how the sheath could have moved, it's super well attached.
    There is a set screw on the top of the motor housing where the sheath goes into the motor. Loosen it up and rotate the sheath as it is keyed (notice notch in the motor case). The help take the 2 screws out that hold the fsc cable bracket in place so you can move it out of the way. Take caution not to bend the cable.

Inspect each end of the sheath to see if either of the end fitting are loose.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    There is a set screw on the top of the motor housing where the sheath goes into the motor. Loosen it up and rotate the sheath as it is keyed (notice notch in the motor case). The help take the 2 screws out that hold the fsc cable bracket in place so you can move it out of the way. Take caution not to bend the cable.

Inspect each end of the sheath to see if either of the end fitting are loose.
    We might have a winner. I found that the end that goes into the chuck was able to be pulled off. I will have to go grab some epoxy tomorrow and reattach it. Thank you all for the suggestions!

Good Job finding the problem.... Careful of the flex shaft spring... it falls out EASY... I have Stomped a few to death when they fell out...

And remember the top machine cover, when you move it around, the clear cover does not have a mechanical stops and if your not careful the clear cover will rest on the 2 switches and damage them... Always support the clear cover...

And how many cut hours? At 250 you should plan to replace the cut motor brushes and the Y Gearbox inner bearings. Two 685ZZ metric bearings.... Just wanted to mention it since you had a Y Stall. It likely was related to the flex end comming off... but just in case your hours are up past 250.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com